ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper

Contribute
to QRZ

1. Default Puxing PX-D03

I was bored today so I started exploring an online radio store and found this odd radio called the Puxing PX-D03. It's basically a Nokia phone clone with a dual-band radio attachment. It seemed like an interesting radio, but I only found a few reviews of it online. Here's the manufacturers Web page for it.

Here's the specs:
    Frequency Range: VHF/UHF 136-174/400-470MHz
    Transceiver U+V dual band
    128 channels
    PC programming
    Dual sim cards,dual standby
    MP3 Player
    human-based opearational interface
    cell phone+transceiver
    camerra built-in
    FM radio (87.5mhz ~ 108mhz)
    TV player
    Entertainment and Games
    Short message send/receive
    It's available from 409shop.com for $158. My question is, has anybody bought or tried one? It seems like a good idea and got decent reviews.

Here's the shop page.

Thanks!
    Sutter, KI6ZON - Media Chair and Webmaster, Sonoma County Radio Amateurs

If somebody figures out how to get one of these on Verizon, let me know!

I'm a little concerned about a ham rig that contains a cellphone. There are laws against using a cellphone while driving in some places, and some of those laws exempt ham radio or radio equipment that is not a cellphone. This device really blurs that line, and opens up several big cans of worms.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Unfortunately those are GSM phones
    Verizon Wireless uses CDMA and now LTE
    Kinda neat though... I'm just not sure about the ham radio and cell phone in one device as well..

Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    If somebody figures out how to get one of these on Verizon, let me know!

I'm a little concerned about a ham rig that contains a cellphone. There are laws against using a cellphone while driving in some places, and some of those laws exempt ham radio or radio equipment that is not a cellphone. This device really blurs that line, and opens up several big cans of worms.
    Signature censored by QRZ for your viewing pleasure

GSM Guest

Hi, sorry for my english, here's a link to my forum
    http://remontsotok.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=225
    which discusses Puxing PX-D03, provided the modernization and improvements of software and hardware.
    Deducted from the service code to the firmware PUXING PX-D03
    That spread codes for this phone pulled out of the firmware, maybe someone will be interested.
    A lot of interesting options, you can change them to be careful!
    * # 0000 # - Set Auto Language
    * # 0044 # - Set English language
    * # 0886 # -?
    * # 0086 # -?
    * # 06 # - shows IMEI
    * # 8563 # - Software Version
    * # 8566 # - Information about the firmware serial number and date
    * # 2693 # - Hardware Version
    * # 37890 # - Menu Engineering <service code>
    * # * 9863 # - factory default modes <service code>
    * # 513 # - Auto Test
    * # 656 # - Auto Test
    * # 737 # - The serial number
    * # 523 # - Contrast
    * # 678 # -?
    * # 876 # -?
    * # 6810 # - Disable all Codes-Disable all codes
    * 336648279437 # * # - <service code> (for which he did not understand otklichilsya display)
    * # 27753 # - <service code> launches the application is not clear on and off

GSM Guest

Hi, sorry for my english, here's a link to my forum
    http://remontsotok.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=225
    which discusses Puxing PX-D03, provided the modernization and improvements of software and hardware.
    Deducted from the service code to the firmware PUXING PX-D03
    That spread codes for this phone pulled out of the firmware, maybe someone will be interested.
    A lot of interesting options, you can change them to be careful!
    * # 0000 # - Set Auto Language
    * # 0044 # - Set English language
    * # 0886 # -?
    * # 0086 # -?
    * # 06 # - shows IMEI
    * # 8563 # - Software Version
    * # 8566 # - Information about the firmware serial number and date
    * # 2693 # - Hardware Version
    * # 37890 # - Menu Engineering <service code>
    * # * 9863 # - factory default modes <service code>
    * # 513 # - Auto Test
    * # 656 # - Auto Test
    * # 737 # - The serial number
    * # 523 # - Contrast
    * # 678 # -?
    * # 876 # -?
    * # 6810 # - Disable all Codes-Disable all codes
    * 336648279437 # * # - <service code> (for which he did not understand otklichilsya display)
    * # 27753 # - <service code> launches the application is not clear on and off

Yes this unit could be trouble for an amateur radio operator that wants to use it as a way to chat with his pals on the local repeater. If it'll make it that far. There's absolutely no way to tell if it's being used as a phone or an amateur radio. It would be a neat thing to have in some ways. The fact it's GSM makes it kind of out dated for our use. It's a jack of all trades and a master of none.
    Don't think I'll be buying one.
    Gary

I have one of these. It was a Christmas gift from last year. Some issues I've had with it include:

It is only 2 watts max output. I either need an external antenna up in the air, or I have to be sitting within almost visual distance of the repeater to hit it.

The "outdoor" profile is ... VERY loud.

Even though I imported my contacts, if someone on my contact list calls me, it still only shows the number, and NOT the contact name.

The days of the week are all in Chinese, even though it is on the English profile.

When our local repeater identifies, I hear a steady "click click click" sound popping quietly in the background. It only happens on this radio, so I have to wonder if the cell phone half isn't possibly self-interfering with the radio half.

Programming it is pretty straight forward, but one of the options you can set is a "label" for the memory channel... you never SEE the label in use after you set it, so this is kind of a waste of memory to store one.

I wouldn't use this while driving, for the reasons mentioned by others ... it is primarily a cell phone, and secondarily a radio. The radio half has NO way to be used by itself, but the cell half DOES, so this would very likely NOT qualify a "ham radio" for the purposes of exemption in places that have no cells while driving laws.

Stefan