Callsign

Thread: WiFi interference from Belkin Router?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec

Default WiFi interference from Belkin Router?

I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct section or not, if not then I apologize. Being a new Ham,(got my tech license about 2 weeks ago) I have been having a lot of trouble with white noise when using my handheld at home or my mobile while parked in the driveway. I can recieve fine but whoever I'm talking too says I have a lot of white noise in the background even on full power. I had read somewhere that some Routers can cause this. I do have a Dual band wireless G/N running several computers at home. some of them are wired and some are wireless. could this be trhe source of my problem? I checked the range of my router with my daughters Ipod Touch and I got a strong signal well past my house and down the street a few hundred feet. I mostly operate on 2 meters and I can change my routers settings. would this help?

I have been having a lot of trouble with white noise when using my handheld at home or my mobile while parked in the driveway. I can recieve fine, but whoever I'm talking to says I have a lot of white noise in the background even on full power.
    Non sequitur
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_(logic)

The most common RFI problem (interference) with network equipment, in the home, is the Switch-Mode Power Supply (SMPS) that powers the device. SMPS have largely replaced transformer linear power supplies for the wall-wart / DC converter. The network equipment mfg. buy these from lowest Eastern Asia bidder.

Network equipment interference should not influence your HT operation in the driveway.

WiFi or wireless Ethernet operates under the IEEE 802.11 standard, these frequencies are at: 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz. -- no where near your dual-band HT operating freq. (144 MHz, 440 MHz).

Your problem may be with your HT, power source (non-battery) or bad microphone.
    Last edited by W9GB; 04-06-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    Nullius in verba

thanks for the info. I couldnt figure out the source of the problem.

If I understand the problem, it's with "transmit," and not receive? Typically RFI will be most noticeable on receive, not transmit.
    That shouldn't happen on transmit, particularly on an H-T AND your mobile radio.

the first thing to do is to COMPLETELY disconnect the router and it's associated "power supply," and see if the problem persists.
    You MAY be in an area with poor coverage, and while your signal INTO a repeater may be marginal, the signal other stations receive from the repeater is strong.

Hope this may help.

There's no way that your router should affect your transmitting. Most likely both of your rigs are weak into the repeater from that location. I'm a little surprised that the handheld is making it into the repeater if the mobile is noisy, too. A good outside antenna on the roof should cure this, but your house just might be in an area that's shadowed from the repeater. I live on top of a hill, but I couldn't hear a local UHF repeater that was down behind another hill to the north of me. I have a hard time getting into another repeater northwest of here with an HT, too, for the same reason.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Hey Dustin!

CONGRATULATIONS on getting your ham ticket! I wish you loads of fun and billions of contacts, LOL!

I'm a bit confused. Did you say the "white noise" only appears on your transmit of either
    the HT or mobile? If so more that likely you're in a low-signal spot. You may be able to
    move 10 feet and be full quieting into the repeater. I've had it happen to me lots of times.

If this isn't it, you might try hooking an in-line, mobile fuse rated at the amperage that the
    one inside to the mobile is rated, then solder a length of # 12, insulated, stranded, copper
    wire to it. Loosen the negative terminal of the car battery and place the free end of the fuse
    holder there, then tighten the bolts. For extra measure, you can take the positive loose and
    run a #12 from it to the fender well (provided there is a stud there) or nearest metal ground.
    Take the negative #12 wire and work it through the firewall into under the car dash. BE SURE it's well insulated against rubbing. You don't want it to short and cause a car fire.

The negative wire goes to the wire corresponding on the mobile and the "positive" goes to a good, metal ground. This may pose somewhat of a problem, with all the cars nowday made of plastic. Following this you should not have any 'ground loops' and the radio will be getting the full. 14.2volts it needs to operate. Yep, it's 14.2 volts not 12, strange, huh?

I've done this for every vehicle I've owned an had no problems.

If you use the HT in the car, without an outside antenna, your signal has to get out from underneath all of the metal roof. If you have a "mag-mount" and a vinyl roof, your antenna is not really "grounded" as it should be.

If you need some more help, there are plenty of "Elmers" here to help you along. Now that you have that 'ticket', don't let it stop you, study for your General and Extra for all the HF voice priviledges you can have as well. Gud Luck, Old Man, LOL!

There is a whole, brand new World out there for all kinds of communication, even digital. I've been in radio/electronics since I was 12 years old and I'll be 66 in October and STILL LOVING it!

Respectfully submitted,

Don/KA5LQJ
    10/10 International
    QCWA
    Alpha United DX club