Callsign

Thread: Strange nose that I get on 75 meters.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-rl

Question Strange noise that I get on 75 meters.

It's a oddball one too. It moves, ever.....so....slowly down the band. As far as I know; I only get it on 75 meters. I thought maybe it was some sort of solar stuff. But I seem to remember years ago on CB, we'd get a quick noise, which sounds like a huge carrier and it would go back really fast! This is slow and quite annoying. Since I filmed that video the noise has moved to 3.923.61

Also in the mornings, on 3.865 and at like 7:00 a.m. or so... I start hearing this pulsing noise. It sounds like someone turning on a Hottub for like a few seconds and then shutting it off and then back on. Sort of a rushing sound --- and yes, this too drives me nuts.

Here's the video:

Anyone got any ideas on this one?

Thanks!
    Last edited by K8CPA; 04-06-2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: added info

Could be a lot of things. Drifting in frequency is a little different and that is usually caused by a device like a switching mode power supply, computers and other devices in the immediate area. The first thing to do is find out if it is coming from your home. To do this you have to power down the entire house including any battery backup temporary power devices (UPS) and anything else that has a battery in it. Now using your own radio on a battery, see if the noise went away. If it did then the problem is in your house. If it didn't go away then you would have to take the rig out for a walk around the neighborhood and see if it goes up anywhere. Once you have found the peak that will be just about the location of the noise source. This may take sometime and the noise source can be elusive.
    I have been listening on 80/75 and haven't heard this on the west coast.
    You will have to monitor what conditions are around when it occurs. Like it gets worse, or better during and after a rain. Keep tabs on the temperature and see if that has any relation. The time of day it shows up. Stuff like this will help eliminate some things and point to others.
    Hope this helps
    Gary
    Last edited by KO6WB; 04-06-2012 at 11:16 AM.

My nose gets bent out of shape every time I listen to 75m.
    73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
    Can CO2 emissions save us from the coming ice age?

Quote Originally Posted by W5DXP View Post
    My nose gets bent out of shape every time I listen to 75m.
    It was a typo, yes, I know.

I have the same sort of noise. It's local, probably some sort of power supply for/or electronics.

Switching power supplies often drift in frequency because they are basically a free running oscillator.