ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec

Quote Originally Posted by KB8GFF View Post
    Hi Mike, I haven't talked to you in a long time. How is Brian(LQ)??? I haven't heard you guys on the air in ages!!! I miss listening to that great audio on 75m
    Thanks Steve. It's fun to try and do good audio within a conventional SSB bandwidth. I moved and am in an antenna restricted QTH now. Haven't talked with LQ in a long time. BTW that's an amazing QSL card you've got!

73 Mike

Where the FCC is concerned, you are only required to identify every 10-minutes when you have made a transmission since the last time you identified. Otherwise, no identification required.

Glen, K9STH

Quote Originally Posted by VE3FMC View Post
    Personally I could care less when you have to ID.
    Me too... but not much less.

I've never been in a ragchew CW contact where I and the other op did not fully identify with both calls at the beginning and end of the contact. The DXing custom of an American station sending only [call] 5NN 5NN TU in response to the DX is sufficient I suppose, even if calls can get easily confused sometimes in pileups. No American ham to my knowledge has ever been cited for not sending the DX call when answering.

The ID issue seems to be more of a phone operating issue than a CW issue. After having listened to phone ragchews in which operators seldom identify, I'm not eager to change the ten minute rule. If anything, I hope that OO's are sending out more notices to hams which fail to identify sufficiently during roundtables. I do not imply that phone operators in general are not good operators. Maybe phone ragchewers fail to identify at ten minute intervals because HF voice chatting is similar to a telephone conversation. Identification might interrupt the flow of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by N5AL View Post
    Mexico still has CW testing (7 and 10 WPM) and a maximum ID interval of 15 minutes.
    Were the testing speeds higher at one point, or were they always 7 and 10 WPM? 10 WPM is slow for the full license. Also, there's little difference between 7 and 10 WPM.

73, Jordan

I have heard one of the reason HAM radio is tightly regulated is because phone company and mobile radio telephone company are concerned that people might use HAM radio in place of long distance and mobile wireless telephone service, I guess people just don't know as much about HAM radio.

Quote Originally Posted by KB8GFF View Post
    That has to ID every 10mins???
    Why hasn't this been changed or petitioned???
    Don't talk too loud, Steve...the FCC might just do away with ID totally if they see this thread.

As for myself, I don't see it as any problem and I'd ID after 5 minutes if that's what the reg says to do.

Your words come out as kinda hostile to newbies and other non-ID'ing folk. A well said and polite reminder is definitely appropriate in a case like you refer to. If everyone was polite in the way they made those reminders then nothing more would likely need to be done.

By the way, long time no talk to...I'll have to get on 555 sometime and look you up.

73 Doug
    It would really help new amateurs who want to build antennas to find an older copy of the ARRL Antenna book. There are too few explanations and too little data in the current editions. By old I mean say pre-1989. Cruise hamfest tables and Ebay, there are plenty available pretty cheap.

I think eliminating ID is an invitation to have the bands fill up with the unlicensed. It gets bad enough with licensed hams acting a fool on the air.
    It would really help new amateurs who want to build antennas to find an older copy of the ARRL Antenna book. There are too few explanations and too little data in the current editions. By old I mean say pre-1989. Cruise hamfest tables and Ebay, there are plenty available pretty cheap.

There was some truth to that...many years ago.

During the Vietnam war, there were squawks from the phone company (Ma Bell, then) that we hams were robbing them of big bucks by running phone patches for the troops.

Of course, what they failed to mention was that we hams were incurring long distance charges to make the call to their folks/wives/whomever at the very high (in those days) domestic long distance rate, and that the likelihood of that poor E2 in Nam could afford a long distance call home was basically nil

There was a reason, back then, that everybody hated the phone company.

Now, on a more up-to-date note, 2m FM is still the de facto phone service of much of the Caribbean.

Bill
    Member: Backyard Engineering Group

I asked several people who own Digital cellular phone with graphical touch screen, that if they would trade their Digital Cell Phone in place of HAM radio which does not have monthly charges ? all of the person I asked they said NO, those people I asked know ability of HAM very well, because I am HAM. ALL told me they will NOT trade their Digital cell phone with ham radio even there are No license requirement. I guess they like to spend money, so phone company have nothing to worry about, it appear more graphics, newer technology , people are willing to pay more for it.

I "ID" more than that! No IDing is the same as CB isn't it????????????????

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast