ad: MLSons-1

IMPORTANT FCC Issues Request for Comments on EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS BY AMATEUR RADI

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD8KQH, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KD8KQH

KD8KQH Ham Member QRZ Page

FCC has issued a request for comments on EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS BY AMATEURRADIO AND IMPEDIMENTS TO AMATEUR RADIO COMMUNICATIONS.

Specifically, they are asking about how CC&R's (restrictive covenants) may impede hams from providing emergency communications services.

This is our best chance to have FCC set rules that will protect hams' rights against unreasonable restrictions imposed by HOA's.

[TABLE="class: bordercolor, width: 100%"]
    <tbody>[TR]
    [TD][TABLE="width: 100%"]
    <tbody>[TR]
    [TD="class: windowbg, bgcolor: #EEEEEE"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
    <tbody>[TR]
    [TD="width: 85%"][FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The Request for Comments (in pdf format) can be found at this link
    http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-12-523A1.pdf

You can submit your comments FCC's Electronic Comment Filing System at
    http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs//
    Click on Submit a Filing, then enter "12-91" in the "Proceeding Number" field and click Continue for further instruction.
    You can also send your comments by mail to the address provided in the Request for Comments release.

You can see comments that were already submitted at
    http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs//
    Click Search for Filings, enter "12-91" in the "Proceeding Number" field and click Search for Comments

Please, do you part to help hams who live under restricted covenants.

S. Bucki
    KD8KQH
    [/FONT]

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]

2. NG2Q

NG2Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow.. finally something..

3. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

If only HOA was the restrictive party and not a certain life partner.

4. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Having difficulty with filling in info at bottom of comment template...

5. W2NTV

W2NTV Ham Member QRZ Page

My XYL TOO!!! "no you cant... you better NOT... WHAT!!!" what can the FCC do for me on this restiction... haha

6. WS4E

WS4E Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope they are going to count more than just ham who have been officially denied requests by their HOA.

Most hams don't even bother to ask, but are still technically being hampered in their abilities due to the HOA regs.

7. K4YZ

K4YZ Guest

I hear ya! When I went "partner shopping", making sure that she clearly understood that this is a significant part of my life and any unreasonable spousal objections would be reason to "just say no" before we got to the altar was a priority for me. She's now W5AMY.

Steve, K4YZ

8. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

"they are asking about how CC&R's (restrictive covenants) may impede hams"

Really? If the FCC doesn't know the answer to this question, then where have they been all this time?

Perhaps they need another governmental study like the one where researchers wanted to know why hookers have unsafe sex while drunk. Took years to come to a conclusion on that one.

Your tax dollars at work.

K2WH

9. KD8KQH

KD8KQH Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course they know, but they need to show that there is a critical mass of people who are affected and who care about the problem. You see, we live under a system called "democracy", where people's opinion counts. Now, you can put smart comments hear and feel good about yourself, or you can employ this time more productively contributing with valuable input to the FCC inquiry. Most people love to spend hours bitching about things, but never move a finger to change them.
    S. Bucki
    KD8KQH

10. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya...what he said!

Mike KK2DOG
    www.hamwave.com

11. N9JPS

N9JPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Fight with PR not BS

Restrictive covenants and HOA's exists to ensure the largest price when you or your neighbors sell their property. It is all about the money, not about assisting a small (and decreasing) demographic of our modern society. I am not against doing something to allow more freedoms with what you do with your property, but CC&R's are written to the "lowest common denominator". If we, the HOA, allows this gentleman to erect an antenna for "emergency" or "hobby" use, why not allow the next neighbor to erect a 35ft tall "fire pole" on the exterior of the house from his second floor window for "emergency" use to exit the house in a hurry? And it can be used for the kids to have some fun, ("hobby"; I am, of course, playing devil's advocate here.) Of course, there are more practical and technical uses of amateur radio than a piece of playground equipment. There is also the avocation of AR in an emergency for the whole HOA and wider community. Getting past the $$$$ to allow effective and reasonable use of antennae for activities in AR is the crux of the issue. As the saying goes, "Money talks, BS walks!" And a lot of "smartphone" users look at AR as a BS-filled hokey throwback of an "old art form" of communications. Getting past perceptions, however justified or not, is like climbing a mountain without gear. Working with your local communities and your neighbors and those on the HOA boards seems better than trusting the gov'ment to do something about CC&R's. Good PR! Just sayin'!
    Bill

12. VK3TWM

VK3TWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen to that brother!

13. VK3TWM

VK3TWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen to that brother!!!

14. KK6L

KK6L Ham Member QRZ Page

Did my part; put in a comment this evening...

15. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.