ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov

Quote Originally Posted by K8CPA View Post
    You mean there's actual intelligent life above 7 KHZ?!? :-o ;-)
    7 kHz? Sure, I can whistle about that high.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Too bad you can't mount an 8' whip on the trunk lip or even on side of the trunk.
    . I put one on the back side panel of my station wagon in the 1970's and it beat the snot out of a roof mounted 3 ft base loaded whip on a mag mount dead center of the roof.
    Great for local ragchewing and whatever DX popped up on 10M !
    The full quarterwave mobile ant was almost as good as the GP on my chimney mount on the house.
    Anything less is a road to dissapointment !
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

In high school, I had a 96-inch whip bumper mounted for 29.600 MHz AM (which used to be the old AM mobile calling frequency before FM) and, with about 2-watts output, worked all over the country.

With the Larsen NMO-27 and the "L" mount, I get out very well on 10-meter SSB with 25-watts peak output. I have well over 100 countries worked with that arrangement.

Glen, K9STH

HF mobile operation is an addiction. If you are not willing to drill holes in your car, you should stick to 2 meter repeater or echo link operation. Sorry for the blast but you are whining about drilling in to your car. Real ham radio die hards will drill where required.

Oh shucky darn, I guess I am just not as much of a die hard mobile ham radio operator as you are, what ever will I do..

I feel that I would be inclined to agree w/ KX0Z, having just purchased my newest and most expensive vehicle, I can't really see cutting such a permanent hole into the roof into my $25k+ vehicle. I have no problem trying to do as many other things to enhance signal/etc; I just can't really get myself to drill holes, especially when there are alternatives.

Well if the thing is just for 10m,surely you'll have to live with a compromise,& use a trunk lip mount,& a 11m whip trimmed for 10m.

In VK,I would use a helical whip,as they are most common 11m antenna.
    They are extremely light,& also don't have much of a problem with air resistance.
    It seems that they are not popular in the USA,with all the 3rd Generation "rubber-duckies"using big, chunky, base or centre loaded whips,but I think I have seen some available on US websites.
    If the helicals aren't available,use the least unwieldy antenna of other varieties.

OK,a trunk lip mounted whip is not the most efficient mobile antenna,but it will work.

73,VK6ZGO

CSI:

Years ago, I had a two-way radio client, an oil field maintenance company, that would bring brand new, high dollar vehicles to my company to have radios installed. He had absolutely no qualms about punching holes for antennas, etc. However, his personal vehicle was an old VW "hatchback" with more dented areas, rust, and so forth, that sometimes I wondered just how the vehicle remained intact, that he absolutely forbid punching any holes in the vehicle for antennas! It was hard to even get a magnetic mount to "stick" in some areas of the roof because of the rust, bad paint, etc.

I never understood his logic!

Glen, K9STH

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post
    CSI:

Years ago, I had a two-way radio client, an oil field maintenance company, that would bring brand new, high dollar vehicles to my company to have radios installed. He had absolutely no qualms about punching holes for antennas, etc. However, his personal vehicle was an old VW "hatchback" with more dented areas, rust, and so forth, that sometimes I wondered just how the vehicle remained intact, that he absolutely forbid punching any holes in the vehicle for antennas! It was hard to even get a magnetic mount to "stick" in some areas of the roof because of the rust, bad paint, etc.

I never understood his logic!

Glen, K9STH
    Maybe he was worried that if you punched one hole, the whole body would disintegrate.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post
    In high school, I had a 96-inch whip bumper mounted for 29.600 MHz AM (which used to be the old AM mobile calling frequency before FM) and, with about 2-watts output, worked all over the country. Glen, K9STH
    The old Bumper mount cut down 11 meter whips were hard to beat for a cheap 10 meter antenna, That worked as good an any. You could position the automobile for the direction that you wanted to talk.

When the band is open you don't really need much.

But then again a lot of people try to open the band...

I thought hatch backs were made for girlfriends. And VW had them in the front, with the spare tire.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast