Callsign

Thread: Stealth ops mobile antenna install :)

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

Thumbs up Stealth ops mobile antenna install :)

So, i like to buy VHF UHF antennas.

I decided to go with the phantom antenna.

Here is some pictures of the new VHF antenna.

in this picture i have a pack of marlboro's next to the antenna to give its size.

here is a up close picture of where you tune the antenna with a special plastic key ( the key is in the first photo on the seat ).

This picture shows it installed. The smaller black phantom is 70cm 450mhz & up.

All in all i am very satisfied with my choice for now. maybe i will try all 1/4 wave antennas next
    One downside is the fact that i now have to TX at 15-55w for maximum audio gain through distant repeaters.
    This antenna is very much so 1MHz bandwidth antenna, i am not concerned about that issue.

73 de k6dea

After further test this evening the antenna burned up....

lol. great thread!

Wonderful WYOMING, Accept no substitutes.

Ya, wish I had gotten to you before you embarked on this experiment. I have 12 of these antennas sitting in a pile in my shop. We had ordered them for a customer who THOUGHT they wanted them. After 2 weeks, they all got replaced. We call them the oil can.

They are extremely narrowbanded. They will not cover all of 2 meters. You can get (as you know) only about 1 to 1.3 mhz bw. If you deviate from that at all, you fry the antenna. And when they work, they aren't very good at all. You will live the 1/4 wave compared to the Phantom.

Brad
    "Life is just like ridin' broncs, its a battle". Chris ledoux

Long live Steamboat

Quote Originally Posted by KC7YRA View Post
    Ya, wish I had gotten to you before you embarked on this experiment. I have 12 of these antennas sitting in a pile in my shop. We had ordered them for a customer who THOUGHT they wanted them. After 2 weeks, they all got replaced. We call them the oil can.

They are extremely narrowbanded. They will not cover all of 2 meters. You can get (as you know) only about 1 to 1.3 mhz bw. If you deviate from that at all, you fry the antenna. And when they work, they aren't very good at all. You will live the 1/4 wave compared to the Phantom.

Brad
    yup, key broke off inside was able to remove that pieces, used an alan wrench tried to get it back to 1.0 and something shattered inside...what a pos! lol gee and i thought antenex was a GOOD company. good thing i didn't pay MSRP for this giant paper weight. it is a cool looking antenna but.. they should be 10.00 not $69.99.

i ordered a duplexer and a diamond nr22L this morning and am looking for a monoband 70cm antenna.