ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov

Default Fldigi and the apple mac

Greetings:

I have posted here and at other Sites fishing for information on interfacing a Mac to a Transceiver running the FLdigi Application but I found almost nothing. I finally decided to dig in deep and do it my way... I picked up some USB to Serial interfaces and some Audio Interface stuff and finally after many attempts in the FLdigi configuration menu I was able to key the Paragon with TX buttons on FLdigi. I plan to put all the pieces into a nice metallic enclosure and eventually do a write-up on the method. I'm certain that there are plenty of Mac users who would enjoy knowing how to make it all happen. There are plenty of Boxes being sold to interface PCs but none that I could find that claim to work with a Mac. USB is USB and the PL-2303 or FT-232 make excellent interface drivers for the PTT activity and, the software drivers are easily found on the WWW. Look for more on this interface as I record the process and write a story of how to make it all happen with a Mac and just one small handful of parts.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][B]Don- W6PJJ[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=Blue][B]
    :cool:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Very interested in your project and the results. Please keep us posted. Thanks

It appears that you've gone to a lot of effort to do that which is easily accomplished with a Mac. For example, my iMac cables directly to the K3 for all sound card modes, while an old non-USB Signalink provides audio isolation between the iMac and a FT-1000D using the same software.

Since the Mac already has a decent-enough sound card built-in, and transmitter keying accomplished via VOX, there's little left to do.

Exactly, K7GQ. I can list several interfaces that are fully supported on the Mac, and several that function at least partially in OS X. I've used my US Interface Navigator with a couple of different rigs on OS X (and Windows and Linux), and before that I used my SignaLink USB without problem. The microHam USB Interface III works just fine with OS X after a bit of tweaking. A Keyspan USB-Serial cable and a couple of audio cables would've likely solved the problem just as well.

W6PJJ...I'm glad you got it working. After all of your demands for USB specs from Apple, and postings here and on eHam complaining about the lack of documentation regarding the Mac's USB interface, I'm sure you can now see that it is all fully standards compliant...as many of us said back when you started this quest. We all have our windmills to battle, and I'm glad you've finally conquered this one.

I also found Fldigi to be one of the easiest programs to interface to my various rigs. And even if it didn't work, there's always Flrig. Perhaps you should also take a look at http://www.w1hkj.com/flrig-help/TT550-ops.html.

73 and hope to see you on the air soon.

Dave
    K3DCW
    Last edited by K3DCW; 05-29-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Updating

Plug in a Signalink USB and install Fldigi and it's ready to go in a few minutes. Simple. I previously used a home brew audio interface with a COTS USB to Serial adapter for PTT keying. Simple. Used a WMR Rigblaster PnP with CocoaModem on an older Mac. Simple. Or could install Windows with Parallels or VMWare, or as dual boot with BootCamp and use Windows software and hardware. Also simple, but expensive and unnecessary.