ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-sarc
    SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Default Getting the new computer up and running PT-2

While I have had no trouble getting my new hardware running and my Windows Seven install went off with not a single hitch I have experienced some minor software issues one of them was unique enough I thought I would share it.

While trying to install MS Outlook the setup program would crash.
    Now this is Outlook 2010 and it should install just fine.
    Well I sat that aside for a while while I dealt with other non computer issues for a couple of weeks...

Last night I was thinking about that before going to sleep and I woke up out of a deep sleep and made a note to try something.......

After the morning news program was over I shut the computer down and brought it back up in the CMOS setup. I went into the CPU section and disabled three of the four cores in my processor, rebooted the computer and ran the MS Outlook setup program and all went well. After the program was installed I shut down the computer and re-enabled the other three cores. Now Outlook runs fine.

I know I'm not the first to experience this issue with multi-core processors so maybe this will help others.
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

W4AFB Guest

Thats interesting. Why did you go after disabling the cores?

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Quote Originally Posted by W4AFB View Post
    Thats interesting. Why did you go after disabling the cores?
    I just had this feeling the setup program wasn't compatible, the version of Outlook I purchased was a 32 bit version. It just made sense.
    The compatibility wizard wasn't dealing with the problem.
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

That scenario has never played out here. Never encountered your issues using same parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by AF6LJ View Post
    I know I'm not the first to experience this issue with multi-core processors so maybe this will help others.
    It will. A number of Windows installation programs are not thread-safe, although I find it odd that Microsoft's own would be counted among them.