Callsign
ad: radiowavz

Thread: User-Adjustable Variable TX Bandwidth (TS-590 vs FT-2000)

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG

Default User-Adjustable Variable TX Bandwidth (TS-590 vs FT-2000)

I noticed this is available on the TS-2000. I currently have a TS-590 and am thinking of getting a FT-2000. I'm curious - if you increase the TX bandwidth do you reduce the output power? From what I can tell the FT-2000 needs an option filter for 309 USD to make it a contest station..

I wish the TS-590 had this feature as it seems you could really have a punch of a signal on SSB..

73s from Colombia..
    ---
    Larry Snyder, HK2LS, [URL="http://www.rn.org"]www.RN.org[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by HK2LS View Post
    I noticed this is available on the TS-2000. I currently have a TS-590 and am thinking of getting a FT-2000. I'm curious - if you increase the TX bandwidth do you reduce the output power? From what I can tell the FT-2000 needs an option filter for 309 USD to make it a contest station..

I wish the TS-590 had this feature as it seems you could really have a punch of a signal on SSB..

73s from Colombia..
    Not that the station at the other end would notice. To increase the miles per watt you'd need to decrease the bandwidth far beyond what would still be readable in SSB.

The TS590 does have a TX bandwidth adjustment using menu 25 and 26 for low and high TX cut.

Larry, You have this backwards ! The modes with the norrower bandwidth have the most signal to noise ratio and require less power for the same (distance) effective results.
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

I know that - I must have worded the statement wrong. Less bandwidth more power - more bandwidth less power (given the same distance).
    ---
    Larry Snyder, HK2LS, [URL="http://www.rn.org"]www.RN.org[/URL]

The problem is, making an SSB signal too narrow means you must roll off (or completely cut off) a lot of higher frequency components of voice modulation, and that's where all the "intelligibility" happens. I can TX in a 1.5 kHz bandwidth if I want to (the Ten Tecs let you do almost anything, since the signal is fully created by DSP) but almost nobody can understand it. I find I "get through" best, and have the most understandable, intelligible, easy-to-copy under "weak signal" conditions signal possible with just about 3 kHz bandwidth. I usually set it for about 2.7 kHz, with a low frequency cutoff at 300 Hz and a high frequency cutoff at 3 kHz, and that's almost as good.

Setting it for less doesn't make one single extra contact.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

You are correct the FT-2000 is much more adjustable and all DSP controlled as does the FT-5000 I have had them both, still have the 5000.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado