I bought one of these at the Charlotte Hamfest. I'm an extremely new licensee, so take this review for what it is worth.

The radio construction seems very rugged. The size is great; fits in my hand just right. The battery lasts forever. It's a 2000 mAh, and I have not been able to run it down.

Perhaps I could have run it down if I could talk more. The antenna is not good. The basis of comparison is my Radio Shack Pro-83 scanner, which receives much better. The contacts I have made did not complain about my signal, but the repeater is really close.

The software for programming this radio is very difficult to make work. Downloading it is a bear; lots of special handling, deleting Chinese characters from the file name, etc. If you have a Windows XP computer, apparently, this helps.

If you are under 30 (I am not), be prepared for the extremely-high pitched whine when the radio is in the charger. My daughter was home from college, and noticed it, and it drove her crazy. When I put my (older) ears up to it, I heard it as well. It's a terrible sound.

The other main issue I have is that no one has these radios, apparently, and accessories are a crapshoot. What is compatible? Good luck finding out. Kenwood, I think, but I don't want to buy it to see. Wouxun radios have much more information out there, and people selling accessories for them.

The only verdict I am qualified to give on this radio is: no, I would not buy it again.