ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl

Default yaesu 2800m

i recently acquired a yaesu 2800m. after a couple of transmitions the screen started blinking and the radio would not transmit or receive. everytime i keyed up the frequency would go away on the display. the radio would not scan when i tried to. i took it to the guy i got it from and he opened it up and told me that i had modded it. i told him that i hadnt. he took it home with him and tested it and talked to another ham and then told me that i had burned up the pll transistor. what is the pll transistor? i thought that there was a driver, a final transistor and then a pre amp or receive final. am i correct? i thought that the pll was something like a micro chip. long black thing that has several pins. can anyone tell me if its the pll or the finals? any input would be great.

thanks,
    ed kk4etg 73s
    He who does not remember the past is doomed to repeat it.

Ed -

The Yaesu FT-2800m radio has a number of well reported issues.

FT-2800m eHam.net reviews from actual owners
    http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3077

Newcomers to amateur radio need to stick with major amateur radio dealers, for first radios.
    Too many people getting ripped off -- with faulty/damaged radios -- Caveat Emptor !
    Nullius in verba

Thank u for the reply. I have read the reviews on eham and they were very insightful but none of them really delt with the issues I'm having.
    He who does not remember the past is doomed to repeat it.