ad: l-assoc
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov

The good news about those tensioners is that they're readily available at WalMart, too. I use them with Dacron rope and telescoping masts so can also recommend them.

73, Jeff

Why can't you just cut some shorter guys with some turnbuckles and attach them to the same point on the mast as the long guys and let them dangle on the pole when up. maybe cut some ply wood or a 2x4 or something like a small donut/ring around the pole with some hook eyes and attach the short guys to it so they dangle down weighted. The easiest thing would be separate tying off the guys on the pole and instead provide something on the pole that you can hook the guys, and as well on the ground. That way you can make guys for either up or down and hook up the ones you need as needed. When the pole is up, use the long guys. when the pole is down use the short ones and wrap up the long ones.

K4PP

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6EZQ View Post
    OK sure, I can see how I can clarify. As far as the buddy pole goes, I bring it down and change tap positions and antenna arm lengths to change bands. It's really not any trouble to me as I don't change bands much except when I start to operate for the day.

And you're right, it is not secure when it is both up and down, but what I had been doing is unhooking the turnbuckle in the down position to tie them up. The sway is not a problem when it's down. I reeled up the guy wires and tied them to the pole in what I thought was a secure position, but that's where they were ripped from.

In the up position, with the guys, sway is not "as much" of a problem. Without them, it's impossible to operate in the winds we have been having.

Maybe all I really need is a better way to secure the guy ropes when it is in down position.
    NOW the picture is clearer! Thanks! Ya' helped the old-goats picture a lot!

Since you indicate you are using "green contractors string" as the guy rope - I am not certain if THESE will work since they are - as far as I know - designed for rope within a range of 3/32" to 1/4" inch -- some for up to 5/16" diameter rope ---- far from what you are using.

The 'Contractors String' is typically size #18 and has a diameter of about 1.02mm or ONLY 0.040" while the tensioner minimum size is 3/32" or 0.09375" -- over twice the size of the string you are using. Just a thought --- I am NOT 'bashing' the tensioners.

I have seen these "tighteners" in the various radio mags and they sure look like they would do the job IF you can swap that "contractors string" out for some 3/32" DACRON ROPE ( BLACK & stealth-mode is retained) -- UV-resistant double weave rope -- most having a break strength around 260 pounds. You won't break it using it on a Buddipole. IT IS NOT EXPENSIVE at around 8-CENTS per foot or less and will last until Hector grows out of being a puppy. Good stuff!

Now - on those "hose clamps" - I would make a tiny "mod" as well. The clamps have 'square edges' and even though they don't "look sharp' - they will 'cut'. So if you used a SMALL "S-HOOK" and inserted it inside the hose clamp before tightening and then tied the DACRON rope to it -- no more 'cuts and breaks'.

For a FREE VERSION of the ROPE TIGHTENERS ---- secure the end of the DACRON rope using a TAUT-LINE KNOT or as I prefer to think of it thanks to loyalty to the USN - a MIDSHIPMANS KNOT. They are EASY to adjust (as your pole moves up & down) again, they are FREE and best of all they WILL NOT SLIP.

One of a gazillion excellent step by step examples on tying THIS SIMPLE KNOT is at: http://www.netknots.com/html/tautline_hitch.html It is EVERY BIT as good as the manufactured tighteners IMHO.

SO ............. if you can:

-1- Replace the "contractors / construction string" with 3/32" DACRON (approximately $8.00 per 100 feet @ https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/vie...idCategory=390).

-2- Add "S-Hooks" to protect the rope from being cut.

-3- Consider the 'tighteners already suggested OR the FREE Taut-line / Midshipmans Hitch KNOT.

*** Since yours is a 'temporary install' - you could even use 'NYLON' or another substitute for the DACRON - but I don't think you would save "that much" money - plus the DACRON is a far superior product.

I am sure others have other ideas - but now that I understand your install I see it working well if the "materials" (rope & adding s-hook or some other form of rope protecting when that hose-clamp is tightened).

More coffee is in order ---- NOW! Hopefully this old fart has not over-analyzed your dilemma and along with other folks has been of SOME - even if only minimal - help.
    Last edited by WD5JOY; 04-01-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Another vote for the black dacron rope. I had it up for 2 years, had to move, it sat in a back garage for 3 years, moved back, pulled the rope out expecting a rotted useless mess. Nope, it was a little stiff from being wet and then drying all coiled up, but beside that it was good as new.

Thank you everyone, I think I have a much better idea of where I want to go with this now!

I may go ahead and trade the rope out for the Dacron stuff, if I can find it at Home Depot I'd be satisfied. And maybe those line tensioners too. In the mean time I may have to see if I can give that midshipman's knot a try.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6EZQ View Post
    Thank you everyone, I think I have a much better idea of where I want to go with this now!

I may go ahead and trade the rope out for the Dacron stuff, if I can find it at Home Depot I'd be satisfied. And maybe those line tensioners too. In the mean time I may have to see if I can give that midshipman's knot a try.

Thanks!
    I've been using Nylon for the past 40 years with zero issues. Whatever the material, double-braided will stretch less than twisted or single braided construction. I buy it from the local mariner supply places. McMaster-Carr has a good description of various fibrous ropes.

Thinking about the cable tensioner I remember back on the days I went camping and the tents had those plastic adjusters on the lines. Those hold very well and they are easy to use with just about any size line you can come up with. There are some at; http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/pro.../microLoc.html. These are cheap.
    Or ;http://www.campmor.com/taut-tie-guy-...rs-small.shtml.
    There are some more you can get, just do a search.
    Gary

I'll plead ignorance here.
    Your guy rope broke so it was not strong enough to do the job?
    So what is holding you to get something stronger?
    Some folks call it “parachute cord” - usually black Dacron available in variety of strength ( I use 200 pounds) and in better hardware stores. Or e-nay.
    If the antenna, I do not know what Buddipole looks like, is somewhat flexible you should not have to tie the guy so it plays you favorite melody. Little “give” may work too.
    BTW – do you really need the turnbuckle? I would not be surprised that the rope twisting undid the turnbuckle tension in a hurry anyway. Less hardware is usually better.
    73 Vaclav

The last step with a turnbuckle is to always feed the cable or rope back through it and tie it off so it can't twist.

Guying anything that goes up and down a lot seems like a lot of work to me. I'd rather use something stronger or tilts up and down using a pulley and pull rope (or winch), or "something."
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

I never said the guy rope actually broke or that the turnbuckles unscrewed, it's a long story, but I'm not opposed to getting stronger rope at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast