Callsign
ad: giga-rw

Thread: Auto tunners , higher end , or adjusting ?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl

Default Auto tunners , higher end , or adjusting ?

I have had a couple of manual tuners , my current is a Palstar AT2K and I'm happy with it , except when time is an issue .
    My current auto tuner is in my Kenwood TS-850Sat .
    The question is the auto tuner can not tune reflected power as low as I can tune with the Palstar , I always get reflected to 0 .
    So I am wandering if some , or any of the auto tuners can be set to bring reflected to 0 , or very close to ?
    Maybe most important with QRP , but I take pride in getting my station / on-air sound as good as possible .

I have 2 auto tuners by mfj. With both of them I can set the target swr to 1:1 if i'd like. from the factory they aim for 1.5:1. The SWR only needs to be low enough to not cuase power to fold back on your radio.

Quote Originally Posted by KF6ABU View Post
    I have 2 auto tuners by mfj. With both of them I can set the target swr to 1:1 if i'd like. from the factory they aim for 1.5:1. The SWR only needs to be low enough to not cuase power to fold back on your radio.
    Yep, if the algorithm is set to stop tuning after a certain threshold has been met, it'll stop there. With the manual, you have no such limitation

Using an antenna tuner to get the SWR down will not make any difference on how you sound whether its 1:1 or 2:1 if it’s not causing your radios power to fold back. You are just changing what your radio sees.

That's very true. Your rig won't "sound" any different if the VSWR is 1.5.

No benefit in tuning for "zero" reflected power, and in fact is kind of a time suck for me. I never bother.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

A 1.5 SWR is not the end of the world. Most modern radios will cut back power if the SWR is really an issue. You should be fine with the 1.5 SWR and so would suggest just using the tuner in the Kenwood and save yourself the time.
    73'
    +Steve/KJ5T

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    That's very true. Your rig won't "sound" any different if the VSWR is 1.5.
    Not necessarily; that would only be true for CW. The TX IMD specs are typically for a 50 Ohm load. Your PA won't see an optimum load line, clipping the peaks of the RF envelope. You'll have to back off the power as VSWR increases to maintain linearity. The IMD will probably climb well before the rig folds back; assuming it even does.