ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-AmericanRadio
    South Central Oklahoma, Rural A mile and a half north of the South Canadian River.

Default SDR anyone?

Anyone out there got hands on experience with any SDR, especially FlexRadio? They have my interest but I have been away from ham radio for over a decade, just got Extra class ticket, and ready for some new gear but have not heard anything from a third party regarding SDR.

SDR = Software Defined Radio

See one MFG product line at www.flexradio.com Site is clunky but adequate.

73 AF5CK

You can join this and learn a lot more: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FlexRadio/
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

friend of mine brought in his QS1R receiver, connect to my antenna, and compare with Yaesu FT-450D receiver, the sensitivity and sound was about same. but, QS1R seems to able to receive many signal at once, and work more like spectrum analyzer. I was surprised how much noise I have in band. only draw back is SDR need PC.

http://www.srl-llc.com/

W4AFB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AF5CK View Post
    Anyone out there got hands on experience with any SDR, especially FlexRadio? They have my interest but I have been away from ham radio for over a decade, just got Extra class ticket, and ready for some new gear but have not heard anything from a third party regarding SDR.

SDR = Software Defined Radio

See one MFG product line at www.flexradio.com Site is clunky but adequate.

73 AF5CK

The Flex radio is awesome. I personally have a 5000A. If your are a computer guy who doesn't mind running a radio with a mouse, you will really like the Flex. The recieve,filtering,panadapter,adjustability, the audio really the list goes on.

You will need a pretty good computer to run PSDR properly, like a mid grade gaming computer.

There is a bit of a learning curve but if your someone who likes to learn it wont take long to figure out.

Ditto to W4AFB's comments...I have a Flex 1500...fantastic...never thought I would get away from the clasic style ham radios. I tried to purchase a used 1500 but they sell for almost new price. So I didn't have anything to loose to try it out, and I'm glad I did. Now I will have to consider when to upgrade to the Flex 3000 or 5000...I'm having fun with the QRP of the 1500.

WD4OOZ

A the price of the QS1R receiver and the added price of the computer you could have easily bought a FT-450D. At least the 450 transmits. Though the receiver may not be as versatile, it does what a amateur radio is supposed to do. All the added stuff is fluff.
    As for the Flex units I have heard the 5000A on the air and it sounds okay to me. Haven't heard a 1500 yet but just about everybody that has one wants to upgrade to the 3000 or 5000 as soon as they can.
    I guess that's a good thing. Don't really know for sure.
    It's all supposed to be part of the fun.
    Gary

I like the combo of the Elecraft KX3, which is a SDR and the iPad. I like selecting stations from the iPad from the iPad as a pan adapter or in waterfall mode. Pretty good video on YouTube here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUHbPZztkiY

I've been playing with the iSDR app on my iPad while I'm waiting for my two KX3 to ship to me. I'm hoping to get at least one of them before I head back to Thailand in the middle of June.

Paul
    W5MMT / HS0ZAC

SDR caught my interest in 2009 when I saw an SDR1000 on E-Bay, including the a destop PC. In a few days I was operating very well using the Windows XP software that came with the PC. No problems whatsoever but of course seeing the adds on the Flex Radio site, I became hungry for something newer than the SDR 1000. In 2010 they began advertising the Flex 5000A and immediately ordered one from Austin, Texas with the built-in tuner, and second receiver. Recently we had the VHF/UHF installed when shipping it back to Texas. I must admit, it has been the best ham radio rig I ever had and have went through my share of Kenwood, Icom etc. Since I first started using SDR radio, I have accumulated over 26,000 contacts in almost 3 years and have shoe boxes full of QSL cards. I only operate CW unless I talk to locals on 6 or 2 meter FM using the installed V/U unit. Have yet to apply for any DXCC or WAS since am too busy operating. So, go ahead and join in the fun by getting an SDR transceiver, either the 5000A or even the model 1500 which is a QRP transceiver.
    Having my Flex 5000A is like having a laboratory instrument being able to communicate using precise frequency control. If you enjoy SSB, it is loaded with features such as a 10 band equalizer, terrific filters, ability to null out interference etc.etc. GOOD LUCK
    At one time I suffered from Kleptomania but now I take something for it.

Yes, the Flex 1500 is a great little transceiver. I take it on camping trips and to Ontario fishing each year using a golf cart battery and a small laptop computer. Since it uses a USB connection, there is no firewire problems to cope with. It is amazing how QRP can allow contacts when using a crude antenna. I use a 33 foot insulated #14 wire strung over a tree limb and a short ground rod and have a ball on 40 and sometimes 15 metres. SDR is the coming thing and eventually all manufacturers will swing over to using it. Flex is coming out with ever newer transceivers called the 6000 series.
    At one time I suffered from Kleptomania but now I take something for it.