ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG

Default LoZ Mic - HiZ Rig

I am thinking about purchasing one good quality microphone that I would like to use with multiple rigs. A couple of the rigs are classic units and have a HiZ input and a couple others are more modern and have LoZ input. I may or may not use a mixer with the set-up but it probably won't be until funds and time allow to purchase and get everything set-up. I know that I can buy a matching transformer to allow the use of a LoZ mic with a HiZ rig and everything should work well. The question is, does anyone know of a switch/transformer that has multiple outputs from a single input. Ideally it would have one Mic In line and 4 or more output lines. 2 HiZ and 2 LoZ. I could most likely build one myself but if I could buy a pre-built unit for little more than the price of the parts (which quite often is the case) that is the way I would go.

73,Paul
    VE1PEW
    [CENTER][FONT=arial black][COLOR=#ff0000]Insanity is hereditary. You get it from your children.[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

I don't think there's anything like that.

There are items that will create multiple outputs from a single input, but they're all low-Z outputs usually.

However since these are "active" units that include amplification, the low-Z outputs should drive high-Z inputs okay, might just take some level adjustments.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Paul,

FIRST, check the current products or DIY build plans used by SO2R contest operators (e.g. DX Doubler at $225 USD).
    http://www.qth.com/topten/DXD.HTM

What you propose is the "opposite" of how broadcast and audio/recording studio mixing consoles normally work.
    In those cases, multiple "source" INPUTs (AP audio news feed; tape (cart & reel to reel); phonograph; compact disc/digital audio; MP3)
    are mixed and then sent to a common OUTPUT (radio transmitter and/or Internet streaming audio/music server).

However, the solution that you desire is frequently used by commerical network "pooled" microphones
    (one or two microphones on camera .. networks taking their feeds from break-out box).
    As Steve, WIK mentioned -- these are normally all 3-pin XLR ~ 600 ohm (Z), often balanced.

There have been some commercial product offerings (audio switching only) for amatuer radio, in the past ("pool" concept; or military derivatives) ---
    BUT they were expensive ($$) -- enough so that only the DX/Contest operators (SO2R) have "complete package" products today.

You CAN fabricate or do your own DIY Build.
    You can get partial schematics from the SO2R operators and ideas from Jim Garland, W8ZR's Station Pro project.
    http://www.w8zr.net/stationpro/

==
    w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 03-28-2012 at 05:18 PM.
    Nullius in verba