ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters

Contribute
to QRZ

I have seen more BNC connectors break or go intermittant when wiggled around than bad SMAs. Female MINI UHF socket connectors also have the center contact break off inside frequently. That one is hard to see.
    A radio seems to be transmitting, draws 20 amps but only a few milliWatts get to the outside and terrible receive sensitivity. Magnifying lamp shows no metal inside the connector.
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Quote Originally Posted by WA6MHZ View Post
    As a manufacturer of products that uses SMA connector on the items, I can attest that they are MOST FREQUENTLY broken off! I see transmitters returned almost daily with SMAs gone. BNCs are MUCH more robust. On the other hand, BNCs are as good to use at 2.4 GHZ as SMAs, which is why we use SMAs. N connectors are just too large for the small transmitters we make, so SMA is the only choice. Users just need to be GENTLE and not let GORRILAs use them!
    You know there is a cure to this problem but most manufacturers don't wish to implement it.

Buy Stanless Steel SMA connectors.
    When it's time, it's time, and it maybe sooner than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by AF6LJ View Post
    Too much wear on an SMA They were never meant for frequent disconnects and reconnects.
    Agreed |

You know there is a cure to this problem but most manufacturers don't wish to implement it.

All our connectors are GOLD, cuz gold connectors make the radio look more VALUABLE!
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

The problem usually isn't the SMA connector, even if it's gold plated brass. The problem, I've found, is with whatever the "receptacle" SMA is mounted on and connected to. With an HT, there's no metal chassis so the SMA receptacle is typically soldered right to the edge of a circuit board and just "sticking through" a hole in the plastic case. The plastic helps retain it, but not like a metal chassis, lockwasher and nut would. Eventually the connection at the PCB just breaks. Not the connector's fault, it's a crappy design meant for very light-duty service and not many connects/disconnects.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by AG6JU View Post
    I was thinking between Yaesu and ICOM handheld for 2 mtr mono band radio. I choose ICOM IC-V80 , because it has BNC connector. I usually prefer Yaesu Radio , but I made exception on this one. Size of the radio does not matter to me that much, I prefer handheld with AA battery capable, and BNC connector.
    I also got the v80 for the same reason! It is a great ht with 5.5 watts!!

I much perfer SMA connectors, you get a more secure fit, but admittedly, they are more fragile. I use small size coax with them when I need to hook to my mobile or large antenna sysems and give a loop in my hand with the HT for stress relief. Just use some sense and avert stress and your SMA will be OK. If you're using large or stiff coax, be sure to use an adapter that includes small coax--if you hook LMR-400 to your SMA, that should be a no brainer--it's eventually going to snap off.

This is a response I received from Icom about sma connections. I asked them why they shifted to sma and why not use more bnc on mil-spec radios because they are more robust.

"Thanks for your e-mail.

We are not able to answer the "why" part of your e-mail because the radios are designed, engineered and produced in Japan and we have no input into the basic design. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the SMA connector and over time, it has proven to be every bit as effective and robust as the BNC but without the complicated design of the BNC type connector. Also, it is much easier to make this connector waterproof than the BNC type. Actually, no antenna connector will withstand being dropped and be able to survive intact, so any radio should be handled with care and caution. We appreciate your patience and understanding."

SMA is OK for microwave units such as transverters etc. BNC connectors are difficult to install but easier to use so I say BNC is better overall.
    At one time I suffered from Kleptomania but now I take something for it.

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

Quote Originally Posted by KA9JLM View Post
    I seen a listing for some good priced BNC connectors.

Very good price..

Nice Tom.
    I recently picked up about 200 Amphenol male BNC, but without the center pins. I have sent Amphenol 5 messages asking about buying just the pins. NO REPLIES. Some service!!!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast