ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

Default Baofeng UV-5R Software.

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a Baofeng UV-5R. I am pleased with the radio and impressed especially with the price. However I downloaded the software and can't get it to work with Windows 7. I keep getting a comm port error even after trying all of the comm port settings. Any ideas are greatly appreciated as the software makes it a lot easier to program. Thanks for your time.

Eddie - KJ4LRB

You need to go into your Device Manager and look at the Com Ports. Sorry the link below is for the UV-3R, but the ideas are the same. Hope that helps.

http://www.brickolore.com/2011/10/ba...-software.html

(Nice call by the way.)

Brian
    KJ4VRB

Let me know if you get it figured out. I'm waiting for my UV-5R to arrive any day now. BTW...where did you download the programming sofware from?

Jim - K2QB

The problem is the with programming cable device driver. It is supposed to be PROLIFIC compatible but evidently is a bogus cable, so it won't work. I uploaded the Win7 Device drivers to the files section of the UV-3R Yahoo group, so join that group and they are there. Even though it is for a UV-3R, the device driver is the same for the 3 and 5. Look for 409shop USB Drivers.

By the way, there is a UV-3R group and also a Baofeng UV-5R group. Join them both!
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

The USB to serial driver that I use that works with Windows 7 64 bit is

Win7Vista_64bit_prolificUSB_V3200.exe

You have to remove all other UV3R and UV5R USB drivers then reboot windows before installing the above driver. This driver will work with the UV3R and UV5R
    programming software so you don't need 2 separate drivers for the 2 radios.

The UV3R and the UV5R transceivers WILL transmit on any frequency within the range (VHF and UHF) the transceivers are designed for. That mean, if, in addition
    to normal ham band 2 meter and 70cm repeater frequencies, you also enter a few public service (police, fire, and rescue) frequencies, both transceiver WILL transmit on those frequencies and both WILL produce RF output that WILL produce interference and you can easily get into trouble if you are NOT authorized
    to transmit on those public service frequencies.

To prevent the transmitter's from being keyed on public service frequencies simply ensure the programming software's "TX FREQ(MHZ)" block is left blank
    for those public service frequencies. This prevents the transmitter from being keyed no matter how many times you press the PTT button and for how long you
    press the PTT button. You do NOT have to set the CTCCS/ENC block to blank either because the CTCCS/ENC block has absolutely NOTHING to do with
    preventing the transmitter from being keyed. This will NOT affect the normal amateur repeater and simplex frequencies you program, it only affects the
    individual public service frequencies you program into the radio using the radio's programming software. This is the method I have used to prevent the
    transmitter from activating on public service frequencies I monitor.

73s
    Mike
    W5RKL

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

Can you link to or send the driver? I would like it too.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Quote Originally Posted by K8ERV View Post
    Can you link to or send the driver? I would like it too.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
    If you send me an e-mail I can send the file to you, it's only 1.9Meg in size.

I don't know how to send it to the forum.

73s
    Mike
    W5RKL

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

My email ls listed here but you can use t l a m b at m e s a dot net. Thanks.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

G'day Mike,
    I have also the same problem and have been watching this thread. Could you please also include me in your email? My email address is anslow(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au

Thanks and Regards,

Paul
    VK2APA

Paul and Tom,

I sent the Windows 7 64 bit USB to Serial driver plus the UV3R and UV5R programming software to both e-mail addresses you both provided. Please let me know via e-mail if you received them.

73s
    Mike
    W5RKL

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast