ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl

Default Echolink on Kindle Fire-Tutorial

Tutorial: Echolink on the Kindle Fire

Additional Hardware Needed:
    The KF does not have a built in microphone. An iphone (4 conductor) headset will work.
    You will also need a microUSB cable to connect your KF to your computer.

Background Info:
    There are 3 ways to get an app onto the Kindle Fire
    1.The Kindle App Store is considered the best and safest way. This is not the same as the android market. The app developer has to submit app to the store for approval. Echolink has not done this yet, but Jonathan at Echolink says that they might in the future.

2. If an apk is provided, then you can "sideload' an app. If you do this, want to be sure that you get it from a trusted source. There are potential security risks if you download from random people. You can also make your own apk if you have the app installed on a different Android device. (Instructions for this are available on the internet).

3. You can root your KF, install the Android market, then install lots
    of different apps.

This tutorial will use method #2, the Sideload technique.
    1. Tap the right upper corner of your screen over the battery and gear icon to get into the settings menu. Tap the plus sign icon. Scroll down and tap Device. Scroll down and slide control to on that says “ Allow installation of Applications from unknown sources”
    2. Download Echolink apk from http://www.echolink.org/downloads/EchoLink.apk
    3. Go to Kindle App Store and install File Expert
    4. Hook up micro USB cable between your computer and the KF.
    5. You should now have a folder on your desktop called Kindle, with several folders such as Android, Books, Documents, etc. Find the Echolink.apk on your computer and drag it into the Kindle folder.
    6. Disconnect the KF from your computer.
    7. Open File Expert. Navigate to the file Echolink.apk and press it. This should install Echolink on your main screen.
    8. Open Echolink. (I assume that you have previously used Echolink on your PC and that your router is configured for echolink). Enter your callsign and password. Go into the settings menu and enter your name, location, etc. Try to connect to the TestServer. I did have to change a setting called Audio Select, to get the sound routed through the headset. At the bottom of the screen there is an icon between the left arrow and a magnifying glass icon. Press that, then you will see Audio select. I also had to play around with different Network Connection settings.

This is about as far a I have gone with this. Hopefully this will help you get started.

Go this to work fine. Can connect and talk, including transmit with a 4-wire headset plug. Cannot figure out how to send text. The keyboard that comes up does not have an ENTER key. Does anybody know how to send the text? ...j0e

Excellent work! Now I have to wait until my wife falls asleep so I can play with her Kindle Fire that I got her ... (grin)

Clint K6LCS
    Clint Bradford, K6LCS
    http://www.work-sat.com

Great tutorial... I actually moved to a Nexus 7 a couple of months ago, and one reason was for Echolink since the Nexus 7 has a microphone.

Just curious, have you gotten this to work with Skype too?

Sam