ad: k1jek

SB61 in CT Needs your support.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA1RLA, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KA1RLA

KA1RLA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. AE1S

AE1S Ham Member QRZ Page

So hams are a special breed with super-human abilities and they don't get distracted, talking on the radio, scanning the band or trying to scan a repeater for PL tone while driving? Please help me understand how having a Ham Radio License makes you less prone to distraction while driving. All these radios with multiple levels of menus or HTs with tiny displays and controls are more user-friendly than a cell phone? You are still using one hand to hold the mike, you are still talking and you are still trying to do more things than just driving. IMHO the cell phones are actually safer in that regard - no VFO knob to spin, no switching of pre-amp, attenuator or changing filters, noise-blankers, DSP and what not... How about the guys sending and receiving CW while diving and keeping a log on top of that? Even operating in the "channelized" repeater world there are plenty of distraction while using a HT. I don’t remember any part of the preparation for the license exam to give you an edge or train you for driving while distracted - you can still as easily kill yourself or god forbid somebody else. If there is a true emergency situation, probably the cops are going to be too busy to deal with a guy using a hand mic anyway! 99% of the hams who get busted for using radio while driving are not doing anything for the public safety at the moment - most probably rag-chewing on the local repeater about their recent triple-bypass surgery.
    I really dont see any grounds for a special exception from a law, intended to keep everybody safe on the road!

3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There have been 2 way radios in cars since the 1930's, with millions of users, and there has never been any evidence that they were a significant factor in causing accidents. We've all seen idiots on the road with cellphones, so the idea of outlawing their use while driving is generally considered a good idea, and I agree with it. But why should we outlaw something that is useful, and that many actually believe contributes to added safety, when there is no evidence that it's harmful?

4. KA1MDA

KA1MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

The trend for law makers to quickly pass laws banning specific actions as a means of maximizing their political capital after every well publicized accident is disturbing. Does that mean drivers may interpret activities not specifically banned in the law as allowed? I see people driving down the interstate at 70+ MPH reading newspapers, balancing their checkbooks, and writing letters/greeting cards (using the steering wheel airbag cover as a desk) on a daily basis. Do we need to draft specific legislation banning those activities? Most of these drivers are also oblivious to the fasten seatbelt warning light (which is easily visible from my vehicle), proving they really don't care what is/is not allowed under existing laws.

I contend that drivers who cause these distracted driving accidents would have had the same type of accident sooner or later even without the cell phone, as they would have found something else to distract themselves with. Guess it's time to remove the mobile rig from the vehicle and install a laptop so I can run quicken to balance my checking account while hurtling down the interstate- at least that way I won't have a microphone to distract me, and I'll remain legal.

Tom, KA1MDA

5. AE1S

AE1S Ham Member QRZ Page

The point is that there is no fundamental difference between using a cell phone and two-way radio - just the small technical detail of full-duplex vs. half-duplex (and with the VOX feature engaged on the two-way radio, even this difference becomes more transparent). If ham operators think they are special and should be excluded from a blanket law (with the general intention to improve traffic safety), what will stop the next special-interest group to seek such provision - and before you know it - truck drivers, hunters, delivery guys, whackers, you-name-it, will all feel special and worthy of such exception. It is not fair to Joe Shmoe with a cell phone to be deemed more dangerous on the road than the guy who got a FCC license to certain bands of the radio-frequency spectrum (something that has nothing to do with trafic safety btw). What about the ppl who actually paid a fee for GMRS license? They also could claim the right to be excluded. I think if the law does not differentiate between cell phones and two-way radios then it should be valid for all but the public-safety and emergency services. (the fact that hams volunteer and train to aid these services does not make them official part of it). Btw there are whackers out there with better equipped vehicles and CB radios and no FCC license than most of the ham operarators - should they also be granted such exception just because they like to ride under an antenna?

6. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe there is a long standing law on the books in CT that gives hams an exemption. Unless that law was repealed, it still stands.

7. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

You can't legislate stupid. I simply use my mike when driving, and drop it when I need to pay more attention to driving.
    No playing with VFOs, DSP, or other silly nonsense. If people weren't busy texting and driving, then this ban never would
    have happened. You might as well ban talking while driving, or listening to the AM/FM radio, or even, gasp!, playing CDs
    while the car is in motion. Where do you choose to stop the silliness?

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if there is any law exempting HR ops, but the current law clearly does not include HR under the definitions of "mobile telephone" or "mobile electronic device":

It's probably a good thing to modify the law to clearly state that HR ops are not part of this law, even though it is clear to me that they were never included, judging by the definitions given.

Joe

9. KA2TMU

KA2TMU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They want to stop the truckers from using the CB?

10. K1VI

K1VI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, there's a callsign from my distant past - hello John. Yes, we lost that exemption about 5 years ago, and appears to be showing up in tickets issued.
    ... De Mike, K1VI, ex-Wa1IDU (MTARA early 1970's)

11. AB1OD

AB1OD Guest

That hasn't stopped two of well-known hams in the state from being ticketed.

12. AB2T

AB2T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm in CT. I do not support an exemption for hams. I still support a complete ban on the use of any communications device, including ham rigs, while a vehicle is in motion. The only safe way to use a cellphone or rig in a vehicle is when it is at a full stop, in neutral or park, and the handbrake firmly applied. Employers who value the safety of their employees and other drivers, especially when their employees are driving company leased vehicles, will allow time for employees to pull over, park, and then make calls.

Ham radio equipment is important in emergencies. Hartford will not ban the presence of ham equipment in a vehicle, just its use while driving. The potential emergency use of ham equipment does not justify a blanket exemption for hams to use a rig at any time a vehicle is in motion.

No person, even a person with near-perfect uncorrected visual acuity and a stellar driving record, is excluded from the possibility of any accident due to distraction. A driver driving at 60 mph travels 88 feet per second. That's about 30 yards. Factor in road conditions, traffic density, vehicle condition, and the impossibility of the human visual cortex to process all information while driving, and there are more than enough possibilities for accident and injury. Careless drivers who "get away with" unwise activities while driving do not justify distracted driving, but merely heighten the chances of accident.

Hamming while rolling just isn't worth it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  13. N4GNO/SK2022

N4GNO/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

I think, as licensed racing competetor, I can drive a race car in a race, and not let any race com from my spotters or other team member break MY consentration...maybe there be be some people that are eazily distracted by kids, wives, listening to broadcast radio,or a bee inside their car....I'm not saying that talking on the radio causes crashes, bad drivers and lack of concentration can come from many sources, I have wrecked almost every kind of vehicle made and not once a radio transmission had anything to do with the wreck... these race cars were built with more safety equimpent...the people are forced to drive wil NO formal instruction, just pass the dumbed down driving tests than the crap that is allowed on the highways today...where are the fuel cells, 5 point seat belts roll cages fire suppresion systems,fire resistant nomex clothes, and this list can go on and on...NO law written by ANY legistrative body will prevent or save anybody...the nanny state kiss off!

14. KB5ZSM

KB5ZSM Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I've seen it's more the texting that is distracting, not the talking.

15. AA4HI

AA4HI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So hams are a special breed with super-human abilities and they don't get distracted, talking on the radio, scanning the band or trying to scan a repeater for PL tone while driving? Please help me understand how having a Ham Radio License makes you less prone to distraction while driving. All these radios with multiple levels of menus or HTs with tiny displays and controls are more user-friendly than a cell phone? You are still using one hand to hold the mike, you are still talking and you are still trying to do more things than just driving. IMHO the cell phones are actually safer in that regard - no VFO knob to spin, no switching of pre-amp, attenuator or changing filters, noise-blankers, DSP and what not... How about the guys sending and receiving CW while diving and keeping a log on top of that? Even operating in the "channelized" repeater world there are plenty of distraction while using a HT. I don’t remember any part of the preparation for the license exam to give you an edge or train you for driving while distracted - you can still as easily kill yourself or god forbid somebody else. If there is a true emergency situation, probably the cops are going to be too busy to deal with a guy using a hand mic anyway! 99% of the hams who get busted for using radio while driving are not doing anything for the public safety at the moment - most probably rag-chewing on the local repeater about their recent triple-bypass surgery.
    I really dont see any grounds for a special exception from a law, intended to keep everybody safe on the road!

I AM A PATROL LT HERE IN NC . I HAVE BEEN DRIVING AND TALKING ON A RADIO FOR OVER 24 YRS IN UNIFORM .
    THEY HAVE NEVER TAUGHT US A CLASS ON HOW TO DRIVE AND TALK ON THE RADIO .
    I TALK ON THE RADIO , EAT A SANDWICH AND JUGGLE SEVERAL OTHER THINGS .
    HAMS ARE A SPECIAL BREAD AND SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO USE THERE RADIO IN THERE CARS .
    THE BIG GOVERNEMENT AND THEIR NEW WORLD ORDER WANT TO SAVE US FROM OURSELVES . DONT LET THESE POLITICAL DUMB A### TAKE AWAY OUR RIGHT TO ENJOY OUR HOBBY ANYWAY .
    IF ANYTHIG IT IS YOUR TEENAGER ON THE CELL PHONE TALKING AND TEXTING .
    YOU SHOULD RUN FOR OFFICE AND HELP PROTECT US FROM EACH OTHER , MAYBE PASS A LAW AGAINST FALLING ON YOUR OWN FLOOR , MAYBE MAKE US PUT WET FLOOR SIGNS IN OUR HOMES AFTER WE MOP .
    HOW ABOUT NO PICKING OUR NOSES WHILE DRIVING .
    NO FOOD IN THE VEHICLE .
    5 WAY POSTION SEAT BELTS .
    MAKE US PUT TAPE OVER THE KIDS MOUTH AND OUR OWN SO AS NOT TO TALK TO EACH OTHER WHILE IN THE VEHICLE .
    OUR RIGHTS ARE BEING TAKEN AWAY .
    IF YOU ASK ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER .
    YOU WILL FIND OUT HE WANTS YOU TO CARRY A GUN EVERYWHERE . WE DONT BELEAVE IN GUN PERMITS . TWO OF MY FRIENDS WERE KILLED IN THE LINE OF DUTY , THE CRIMINALS DID'NT HAVE TO GET A PERMIT TO BY THEIR WEAPON OF THE STREET AND THEY DIDNT HAVE TO CARRY A PERMIT TO CARRY IT EITHER .
    WAKE UP AMERICA .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.