ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec

Question Mic Problem IC-718 with HM-36?

I hope this question finds everyone in good spirits and thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have.

I recently purchased an IC-718 used and after assembling my first HF antenna, and wiring everything up I gave it a test. I was able to receive far off signals and all was good, that is until I tried to transmit. I made one connection and that connection said that my audio was cutting in and out. Utilizing my instruction manual I read a section about the mic gain and looked at the setting the previous owner had it set on. I was disturbed to find it at 98! Checking the ALS signal meter I saw that while I was holding the transmit button and calling CQ that I was not getting much of a reading on the ALS meter. Since that contact, I have not had a single contact. My concern is whether or not the problem is with the radio, which appears in all physical appearance to be in excellent shape or the mic that is bad. My belief (I am new to Ham Radio and especially HF equipment) is that my mic gain should be around 50 and adjusted positive or negative from that number so that the als meter is topping off but not exceeding the max level.

My question is (without spending a ton of money) or finding another operator with a compatible mic how do I figure out if it is the mic or the radio and short of ordering a replacement mic is there anything else I can do to verify the cause of the problem?

Thanks for the newbie question.

Bernard
    KC2NKL

Hi! Have you tried to change mic? Try another, if you can't check all connections into the mic and 8 pin, all connections must to be perfect and mic had to be well grounded.
    Then try in USB, COMP on and mic gain to 35, try to talk to someone, don't exceed ALC meter..

If you know someone who has a older Icom 2 meter radio, the HM-23 seems to work fine with the 718. I run it with the mic gain around 25 and compression on. Radio seems to work better when you use compression.

Todd
    AD7VB

I used to have a IC-718 and I agree with the other posters. Set the radio up using the instructions provided in the manual. I always used a little compression. A microphone setting of 98 sounds like the CB school of radio.

fp
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

G'day Bernard,

Mate I have an IC-718 and had something very similar happening to me. IT would sometimes not transmit and be rather random in tx in general. I was going to buy a new mic etc, but before i did i opened the radio and had a look.

Found nothing wrong, but after i put the case back together it has never happened again. I suspect it was a bodgy earth connection that the case covers have with the chassis.

May not be the issue you are having mate, but give her a shot and see how she goes.

Regards
    Steve