ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl

thanks to W9GB for sugestion ,i will do that!! contact MultiTech industrie for custom made switch , 73 and have great weekend K.B.

to KM1H , thanks Carl you are right , amp is mint cond. and I am not giving up that ease!!!when it works it is great amp. K.B.

Quote Originally Posted by VE6KBA
    I will contact MultiTech Industries regarding a custom made replacement band switch.
    73 and have great weekend
    K.B
    K -

IF you call by telephone, ask for "Skip" and tell him details about the switch.
    They MAY request that you ship the old switch to them -- for proper fit, and clearances.

w9gb
    Nullius in verba

Its Skip Coleman and be ready for sticker shock, Ive been dealing with him since the 80's when it was still Radio Switch Corporation. He will make anything you want thats based on one of their standard products and what you want is a Model 78.
    http://multi-tech-industries.com/rswitches.html

A cheaper alternative is the senior series Ameritron switch which still is expensive plus either one will have to be adapted. Both are clones of the old Centralab JV-9000 series (Electroswitch bought the Centralab ceramic switch division over 20 years ago) and is what I use in my modified NCL.

Carl

... be ready for sticker shock.
    Quality parts are not cheap !

Quote Originally Posted by KM1H
    Both are clones of the old Centralab JV-9000 series (Electroswitch bought the Centralab ceramic switch division over 20 years ago)
    and is what I use in my modified NCL.
    Carl,

That is ElectroSwitch's D9 series ??
    Provides up to 24 positions with a frame less than 3 inches
    http://www.electro-nc.com/rotaryus/d9.pdf

ElectroSwitch
    2010 Yonkers Road
    Raleigh, NC 27604
    http://www.electro-nc.com/productpag...switches.shtml

Telephone: (888) ROTARYS or (919) 833-0707
    Fax: (800) 909-9171 or (919) 833-8016
    Nullius in verba

Quote Originally Posted by KM1H View Post
    Its NOT an undersized switch for its use. The same size is in the SB-220, Clipperton L, all the AL-80 series and others...over 50 years of amp applications.

If it keeps blowing its cockpit error or an external problem....period.

Geting it away from you is a good thing and hopefully a new owner will enjoy it.

Carl
    I always enjoy Carl's frankness :-)

Default NCL-2000

Quote Originally Posted by VE6KBA View Post
    to all tech forum: my question , did anyone or anybody modified the tank circuit in NCL-2000 , i am tired of reparing and searching for the band swich for this amp . it is good design butt the weakest point is the band switch ,did anyone change design or finde solution for this cheep, weak, cheeze, miniature band switch in this amp , almost imposibile to find new one , it is the shame that National with such good design put in so small switch wich burn contacts soon you are out of proper resonance , i just wonder if is different solution (tecnical ) to this problem , perhaps to redisigne PI circuit, new coil different capacitor and stronger heavy duty switch , i would appriciate any info and help. thank you sincerely VE6KBA Kruno Bugar in Calgary Alberta Canada, please let me know at my e-mails kruno.bugar@calgary.ca or krunobugar@yahoo.com
    I wish to sincerely thank to all of you out there who helped me with your advises and sugestions to solve my problems with NCL-2000 , have great sunday and all the best to you and yours . K.B. VE6KBA

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Quote Originally Posted by W1QJ View Post
    I always enjoy Carl's frankness :-)
    I second that.
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

When I got my General ticket (1977) I purchased and NCL-2000. Being new in the hobby I knew I had to read the manual when I put that amp on line.
    I ran that amp for many years and .....other than taking a lightening hit that took out the tubes and power relay, I never had any issue with that amp.
    I replaced the tubes and power relay and it worked as good as new. I sold it to a friend of mine and he also never had an issue with amp.
    I always, and still do, use only resonant antennas. I never every heard a spark in that amp. I ran contests with that amp and was able to change bands on the amp in 20 seconds.
    The band switch may or may not be a weak link, but it never failed on my. It was a tame amp and did exactly what the manual said it would.

The band switch must be able to carry a certian amout of current and voltage. If it does it without failing, it can't be that much of a weak link.
    Bottom line, if you run the NCL-2000 by the manual and use resonant antennas, you should not have any problems.
    Barry, KU3X

Quote Originally Posted by VE6KBA View Post
    to all tech forum: my question , did anyone or anybody modified the tank circuit in NCL-2000 , i am tired of reparing and searching for the band swich for this amp . it is good design butt the weakest point is the band switch ,did anyone change design or finde solution for this cheep, weak, cheeze, miniature band switch in this amp , almost imposibile to find new one , it is the shame that National with such good design put in so small switch wich burn contacts soon you are out of proper resonance , i just wonder if is different solution (tecnical ) to this problem , perhaps to redisigne PI circuit, new coil different capacitor and stronger heavy duty switch , i would appriciate any info and help. thank you sincerely VE6KBA Kruno Bugar in Calgary Alberta Canada, please let me know at my e-mails kruno.bugar@calgary.ca or krunobugar@yahoo.com
     As I recall the bandswitch in the NCL-2000 has open contact (OC) spacing similar to the bandswitch in the SB-220. Since the 220's bandswitch has an OC breakdown potential of c. 4900v at sea-level, the bandswitch in a NCL-2000 should be more than adequate for HF RF since it has lower HV than the 220. However, VHF has more ability to arc than HF, so it's possible that your NCI-2000 had an intermittent VHF parasite. To find out, unsolder one end of each parasitic suppressor R and measure the ohms. If the resistance has increased more than 50% odds are that it had an intermittent parasitic oscillation. To reduce the ability for VHF oscillation, reduce the VHF-Q of the VHF suppressors. This will lower VHF amplification.
    - note - on my Web site there is a diagram that shows circuit improvements for the NCL-2000.
    http://www.somis.org/ncl2k.JPEG
    Rich, AG6K, [url]www.somis.org[/url] 805-386-3734

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast