ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
    SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Default For The SDR Fans

I saw this over at Hack A Day and thought I would pass it along.

Software defined radio from a USB TV capture card

posted Mar 20th 2012 11:01am by Brian Benchoff
    filed under: peripherals hacks, radio hacks

With a simple digital TV USB capture card, you can build your own software defined radio or spectrum analyzer. While it may not be as cool as [Jeri Ellsworth]s SDR, its still very useful and only requires $20 in hardware.
    The only piece of hardware required for this build is a USB FM/DTV capture device with the Realtek RTL2832U chipset. So far, two USB sticks have been tested and the unit with the largest frequency range (64 1700 MHz) is available direct from China for $20.
    Turning these cheap capture cards into software defined radios and spectrum analyzers was discovered by [Antti Palosaari] after sniffing the device. These cards demodulate the frequency and send all the data to the computer and is decoded via software. If you have one of these capture cards lying around, you can grab the software and load it up on your *nix box. Right now, the software only writes directly to a file, and may drop a few samples if writing to a hard disk instead of ram. Small problems, but were sure this project will pick up steam in the very near future.
    via reddit
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This looks kind of cool....
    "I would rather be free than rich."
    Dick Gregory

W4AFB Guest

Very cool.

Looks a lot like the FunCube receiver.

Cortland
    KA5S

Question Chime in!

I just bought one of these for $14.12 with free shipping.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/dvb-t-d...h-remote-28891

This looks like it has potential. Who else is going to play with this?

Hmmm.. I may have to dig through the junk box for that Hauppauge ATSC dongle that I retired from service. Good find, Sue. Thanks for sharing!
    [SIZE=1][B]"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A Heinlein[/B][/SIZE]