Yaesu FT-817/857/897 Bluetooth CAT dongle/adapter
Homemade CAT-to-Bluetooth adapter for Yaesu FT-817, FT-857, FT-897.
It plugs in the rear ACC port, it is self powered and allows CAT ("computer assisted transceiver") communication at 9600 baud (standard FT-8x7 data rate). This finally solves the problem of ground loops; RS232 adapters, availability and drivers; cables around the shack.
The dongle measures about 2x5 cm (0.8x2 in) and features a status LED that shows the serial link status (LED is lit when the data connection is active). You need a Bluetooth enabled computer, either onboard or with a USB-to-BT dongle (not supplied). The range can be up to 2 metres (6 feet) depending on obstacles and Bluetooth antenna performance.
So far the dongle has been tested on Ham Radio Deluxe 5.11 on WindowsXP and Windows7 (32 bit), both with internal Bluetooth hardware and an external USB-to-BT dongle. There is a software incompatibility on Toshiba laptops with integrated BT hardware and Toshiba bluetooth stack (ref. Tecra S11 with Win7_64).
Price. payment via PayPal in EURO currency:
- 33 EURO shipped with Registered letter to Americas (United States and Canada), Asia, Africa (approx 44 USD)
- 32 EURO shipped with Registered letter to Europe (approx 42.5 USD)
- 34 EURO shipped with Registered letter to Oceania (approx 45 USD)
Note: conversion to USD is provided as a guidance at 2012-03-21 exchange rate.
Items are tested on a real FT-817 before shipping.
Contact in advance firstname.lastname@example.org to check availability, delivery týmes and PayPal payment address.
Options, on request, may be subject to a surcharge/donation:
- adapter with a short tail cable
- different CAT baud rate (4800, 38400)
- different Bluetooth ID/PIN
Since every adapter is custom built, they all look physically slightly different from what is shown below.
One adapter compared with FT-817:
One adapter inserted in the FT-817 ACC port and in use:
1) I am now publishing a waiting list showing the production status and amount of available dongles.
2) The FT8x7 dongle has been successfully tested on a MAC Powerbook G4 with OS 10.5.