ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-sarc

Quote Originally Posted by KF5LBK View Post
    Well I am a new ham (under a year) and I just started using HRD and am still learning how, seems to be really cool. I'ts not that I don't think it will be worth the money. But I have just had my hours cut at work and for me sometimes $60. or $80. is hard to come by so I will be using the free stuff for a while yet. I have about $900. invested in my whole rig. and I fail to see why some of these guys can buy a radio for thousands and not want to pay for the program.
    I agree,

I don't think people have a problem paying for what they like and use.

They just don't like to pay for the Unknown, and that is what is left to be seen.

"Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

I think I'll just keep using my paper log. Seems to work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by VE6CPU View Post
    Having used the HRD Logbook in the past, I don't think it is all that the others seem to think it is. I prefer ACLog3.X. It is much easier for me and allows me to download the database from the FCC and RAC and convert them for use. The only thing it lacks is a DX call look-up, but nobody can offer a truly accurate DX look-up so why bother. Plus it only costs $20...1 time. What a deal! Free updates, bugfixes and upgrades.

I use N1MM logger for contests as well.

FCCSrv will allow you to download and search the FCC database as well. It is free and supports the RAC call database.
    VKSrv will do the same for VK Calls.

Will HRD's logbook allow up/download of LoTW yet? I'll have to go look.....Yes it will!

Will HRD 6.0 allow us to download and convert the FCC/RAC databases? No overpriced CD or subscriptions to websites required?
    Last edited by KA9MOT; 03-29-2012 at 04:13 AM.
    Steve
    Macomb, IL

Quote Originally Posted by KA9MOT View Post
    Having used the HRD Logbook in the past, I don't think it is all that the others seem to think it is. I prefer ACLog3.X. It is much easier for me and allows me to download the database from the FCC and RAC and convert them for use. The only thing it lacks is a DX call look-up, but nobody can offer a truly accurate DX look-up so why bother.
    99% of what I work is DX. Access to the FCC or RAC databases does nothing for me. So yes, the program you use serves its purpose for you, but would be worthless for me. But, the nice thing is we can find those programs that serve the purpose we are looking for!

I've used several logging programs but stopped once I found HRD. It does everything I want. You found the one you like and that's what it's all about.

...........Bob
    ex-W4DFW Ham since 1970. ARRL Life Member and Volunteer Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by VE6CPU View Post
    I remember when that was a requirement. FCC rules.

Works good, last a long time...

I thought there was still a question of using GNU licenced code in a paid for product? Don't get me wrong I like HRD but I like Linux better!

http://old.ham-radio-deluxe.com/Down...ourceCode.aspx
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Courier New"]K4RJJ Paulding County ARC[/FONT][/SIZE]

7? 15 so far. Some are even very valid!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Courier New"]K4RJJ Paulding County ARC[/FONT][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by K4RJJ View Post
    I thought there was still a question of using GNU licenced code in a paid for product? Don't get me wrong I like HRD but I like Linux better!

http://old.ham-radio-deluxe.com/Down...ourceCode.aspx
    Having some idle time one day, I made a half hearted attempt to look into this when the changes were first announced and couldn't really decide if HRD is compliant or not so... unless I know otherwise, I give Rick and co the benefit of the doubt.

GPL has nothing to do with whether or not a product is sold for money. As I understand it, the GPL mostly says that if a product uses GPL code and is distributed then the source code for that product must also be released. I think if the new owners are violating the GPL then so was Simon.

Some of those libraries are LGPL which makes it absolutely fine to use with HRD.
    Some didn't seem to have an obvious license at all.
    I think at least one is GPL. I think the general opinion is that using those in a DLL does not remove the requirement to release the source for the whole application. That's what LGPL is for. If one or more of the libraries is GPL and not LGPL then I think they need to release the source for at least DM780.

Take a look at HRD and there is indeed a folder called source containing a file DM780SourceCode.zip. I don't know enough about C++ to figure out whether or not that's the whole source code for DM780 or just the code for the changes they've made to GPL and LGPL code. That's where I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they've done the right thing.

Putting on my armchair lawyer hat, I guess someone might argue whether or not HRD is one application. If it is then releasing source for just DM780 wouldn't be enough.

It's obviously none of my business It's up to the authors of the libraries to say or do something if they feel something is not right. Of course they may have done a special deal with Rick to release under a dual license or something.

Quote Originally Posted by KT7DAD View Post
    1st amendment is a political right, ment to protect you form prosecution criticizing the government, and have no relevance to a entity like a website etc.
    Au Contaire jack! My(and your) 1st amendment rights exist everywhere in this country! Whether or not Fred allows those remarks to remain here in writting is his decision, which I will not dispute and will defer to his rights to run his property as he wishes.
    And even though I thinketh you full of it, you still have the right to speaketh it.
    Joe, N4RRL/7
    ARRL VE

Quote Originally Posted by W4PC View Post
    Tampa FL, St. Paul MN, Pittsburgh PA - September 19, 2011

HRD Software, LLC is pleased to announce a preliminary list of features for Ham Radio Deluxe v6.0, due to be released in time for the Dayton Hamvention. “In the past five months, we’ve spent a lot of time addressing the backlog of bugs and defects. We’ve also ported the code base from Visual C++ 6.0 to Visual Studio 2010,” said Mike Carper, WA9PIE. “But we also recognize that product development also needs to include new features that will sustain the appetite for improvement within the user base.”

Ham Radio Deluxe v6.0 will include improved awards reporting, contest interfacing, additional digital modes, support for various keyer products, improved and simplified layouts, log export in a number of requested formats, and rig support for a number of popular unsupported radios like the Ten Tec Eagle and rotors like the M2.

“In all, we have between 30 and 40 new compelling features planned for potential inclusion in version 6,” said Carper. “That’s probably about 25% of the items on the drawing board. It’s our intention to continue to grow the product for the users.”

HRD Software, LLC plans to release the final specific list of features approximately 30 days prior to the 2012 Dayton Hamvention.

HRD Software, LLC is on the web at http://www.hrdsoftwarellc.com or http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com
    Are we getting close yet ?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast