ad: l-sarc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Firefox Pale Moon browser with Ghostery plug in

Is anyone using this combo ? I've read that Ghostery blocks all Google crap, bugs,cookies and web tracking. IE and Firefox web pages can be displayed and customised with adjustments in fonts and font sizes

Quote Originally Posted by G0GQK View Post
    Is anyone using this combo ? I've read that Ghostery blocks all Google crap, bugs,cookies and web tracking. IE and Firefox web pages can be displayed and customised with adjustments in fonts and font sizes
    Firefox + NoScript + FlashBlock does the same thing.

If you don't want to muck around with extended Firefox settings, get Firefox + NoScript + FlashBlock + Better Privacy

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Ghostery does do effective blocking however I tend to use it more to let me know who is watching me watch the website I just connected to.

No Script will block scripts that have nothing to do with stuff like double click or Google's stuff.

In deference to QRZ there are some watchers I won't block,
    they are useful to the management of QRZ.
    I consider it part of supporting The Zed not to block these watchers.
    Molon Labe SOB!

Why do people waste their time trying to cover their tracks? Your ISP has a record of every site you've visited and everything you've done anyway. I can understand using adblockers and maybe noscript but the rest is just a waste of time and a whole lot of fud.

Quote Originally Posted by IH8U View Post
    Why do people waste their time trying to cover their tracks? Your ISP has a record of every site you've visited and everything you've done anyway. I can understand using adblockers and maybe noscript but the rest is just a waste of time and a whole lot of fud.
    That's only true if your not using a remote proxy server which you have connected to using a secure socket connection.

the only activity your ISP would see would be you connecting to it, after that nothing save for a stream of encrypted data.

There are times you would want to do just that, like logging into any site where sensitive information is being passed over the web by way of a wireless connection, or any public computer.

Also there are times when ads are annoying....
    Google has a habit of placing ads that are geared to your taste based on the sites you visit.

Some of the above is good for stopping that kind of ad.

Use your imagination and you could see how those context sensitive ads could be embarrassing.
    Molon Labe SOB!

Quote Originally Posted by AF6LJ View Post
    That's only true if your not using a remote proxy server which you have connected to using a secure socket connection.
    the only activity your ISP would see would be you connecting to it, after that nothing save for a stream of encrypted data.
    I agree on that, although I have to wonder how many people running all these privacy "protectors" are actually using a remote proxy server as well. I am willing to bet the answer is little to none.

There are times you would want to do just that, like logging into any site where sensitive information is being passed over the web by way of a wireless connection, or any public computer.
    That's what a VPN is for, it's encrypted.

Google has a habit of placing ads that are geared to your taste based on the sites you visit.

Some of the above is good for stopping that kind of ad.

Use your imagination and you could see how those context sensitive ads could be embarrassing.
    I think we agree on adblocking:

I can understand using adblockers and maybe noscript

That's what a VPN is for, it's encrypted.
    Or just plain old SSL

The authors of Firesheep have achieved what they intended and that was to push web sites to use more TLS / SSL everywhere, not just the login page.

It isn't about covering my tracks, it is about not trusting corporate America to do the ethical thing with all the data they've acquired. Google was just outed as having been using a way to subvert the privacy settings on Safari and their mission statement includes the words "Do No Evil".

Modern marketing on the web involves a hefty helping of graph theory, which is powerful in making the connections between people on Facebook and predicting if a woman might be expecting a baby. Even if you don't participate on Facebook, they're tracking you. But the data becomes a lot less useful and a lot less certain in association if you start breaking the connections between the vertices. And that is what I'm doing by not permitting third-party javascript, erasing cookies and persistent Flash cookies.

The sites I visit know I've been there, and my ISP know where I've been; probably the government too. But I never gave Facebook nor Google permission to collect a dossier on my internet activities and sell it. And when I do use Google, my permission is for Google properties, not the entire internet.

*THAT* is why I do what I do. I've been through data mining courses, the power of modern software and the storage capabilities is off the chart.

I agree on that, although I have to wonder how many people running all these privacy "protectors" are actually using a remote proxy server as well. I am willing to bet the answer is little to none.
    I don't see any need to log into The Zed through a proxy.

If I was going to visit some hate site maybe I might want to use a proxy but I don't.
    I have no need for VPN since I don't telecommute.

if you want to bury yourself there is always Tor which is secure for a while before someone breaks it, again, and again...........
    Molon Labe SOB!