Callsign
ad: dxeng

Thread: VO-52 - Minimum power necessary!

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters

Default VO-52 - Minimum power necessary!

I have been playing around with the SSB satellites using a very simple setup. Tonight I was honing my abilities (I won't say skill, that's a long way from reality), and made a contact with WB2SIH. I didn't realize until after I worked him and was trying to work a friend on schedule, that the power output was set below a watt. Bear in mind I was holding an Elk antenna in my hand and probably not dead-on the bird's azimuth or elevation! He did comment I was weak and a little off-frequency, but I'll take it considering all the circumstances.

So the moral of the story is, you do not need a lot of ERP to work the LEO's, FM or SSB.

>> ... you do not need a lot of ERP to work the LEO's, FM or SSB.

It's all in the antenna ... Great work!
    Clint Bradford, K6LCS
    http://www.work-sat.com

Quote Originally Posted by W5PFG View Post
    I have been playing around with the SSB satellites using a very simple setup. Tonight I was honing my abilities (I won't say skill, that's a long way from reality), and made a contact with WB2SIH. I didn't realize until after I worked him and was trying to work a friend on schedule, that the power output was set below a watt. Bear in mind I was holding an Elk antenna in my hand and probably not dead-on the bird's azimuth or elevation! He did comment I was weak and a little off-frequency, but I'll take it considering all the circumstances.

So the moral of the story is, you do not need a lot of ERP to work the LEO's, FM or SSB.
    The PE1RAH transponder appears to be more sensitive than the other transponder that had been active on VO52. The only drawback so far is that this transponder can be overpowered just like AO7. If one station runs too much power, you don't hear yourself.

When I worked some VO52 passes over the weekend, I ran mostly at 2.5W from my FT-817ND. At 1W, I still got through OK. I even did OK with 500mW for more than the middle of the pass. My antenna was my usual Elk log periodic.

73!
    Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
    http://www.wd9ewk.net/

Quote Originally Posted by WD9EWK View Post
    The PE1RAH transponder appears to be more sensitive than the other transponder that had been active on VO52. The only drawback so far is that this transponder can be overpowered just like AO7. If one station runs too much power, you don't hear yourself.

When I worked some VO52 passes over the weekend, I ran mostly at 2.5W from my FT-817ND. At 1W, I still got through OK. I even did OK with 500mW for more than the middle of the pass. My antenna was my usual Elk log periodic.

73!
    I concur -- PE1RAH transponder seems a little more sensitive. In the past when I had my Elk on a tripod and was running the FT-847, it seemed like 5 watts did the trick. It was accidental that I had the power turned almost off on the UHF side of my radio last night, but it was a good testament to both the satellite and my equipment that I could make contact.