Callsign

Thread: New to Ecolink qsl, e-qsl, contesting, logs, and how to CQ?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov

Post New to Ecolink qsl, e-qsl, contesting, logs, and how to CQ?

I have a few of questions.
    1. qsl programs what is the best ones, i have e-qsl and waiting for my postcard for tqsl?
    2. is Ecolink a valid way to contesting (ex. all states worked, DXing?..) since I don't have a radio, and I'm unable to get on air?
    3. How do you CQ on this, do I pick a user, or repeter that is not buisy?
    4. Log book question, since i'm not using a radio, am i required to log contacts for fcc?
    [COLOR="#0000FF"][/COLOR][FONT=Arial Black][/FONT][B][CENTER]KK4HDZ[/CENTER][/B]
    If you call "CQ" on a Walmart page phone ....... you might be a ham addict!
    When your flag pole serves as a antenna ........ you might be a ham addict!
    When you give your wife a "QSO card" for answering the phone ......... you might be a ham addict!
    When you sign your call sign insted of your name ....... you might be a ham addict!
    When you spend all day on QRZ cause you don't have a radio ...... you might be a ham addict!

1. I like LoTW, but I also do e-QSL and I've uploaded my logs to QRZ.
    2. EchoLink contacts don't count for contesting or most awards. There have been some 'EchoLink' awards that do count them.
    3. I'd look for a repeater that IS busy, and wait until the conversation is done. EchoLink announces when you connect to the station, so don't be surprised if you are welcomed (or not) when you connect. Some people find the announcements annoying.
    4. You're not required to keep a log for anybody. I sometimes log EchoLink contacts, but if you're going to upload them to a service like LoTW or eQSL, I would keep them in a separate log. Keeping a log is a good idea - in case you ever need to document your activities, and there are some things, like 3rd party traffic and guest operators that you are required to log.

I used to send eQSL cards for some EchoLink contacts, and real QSL cards for 'first contact' QSOs. However, I'm not doing the eQSL thing anymore, because these EchoLink contacts may be counted for awards there, and that's not correct.

Now, there are other options out there for using the Internet for your hamming. Remotehams.com was announced here on the Zed recently, and it looks like a great way to get on the air. Some of their transceivers work in the 10 meter Tech band, and a couple of them are on VHF. The difference is that you are really remotely controlling the radio, so contacts there will count for awards. There are other online rigs, as well.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    Now, there are other options out there for using the Internet for your hamming. Remotehams.com was announced here on the Zed recently, and it looks like a great way to get on the air. Some of their transceivers work in the 10 meter Tech band, and a couple of them are on VHF. The difference is that you are really remotely controlling the radio, so contacts there will count for awards. There are other online rigs, as well.
    This sounds interesting, i will check out remotehams.com, i will keep ecolink account for back up, thanks for the info. 73!
    [COLOR="#0000FF"][/COLOR][FONT=Arial Black][/FONT][B][CENTER]KK4HDZ[/CENTER][/B]
    If you call "CQ" on a Walmart page phone ....... you might be a ham addict!
    When your flag pole serves as a antenna ........ you might be a ham addict!
    When you give your wife a "QSO card" for answering the phone ......... you might be a ham addict!
    When you sign your call sign insted of your name ....... you might be a ham addict!
    When you spend all day on QRZ cause you don't have a radio ...... you might be a ham addict!

Arrow Re: some questions.

Hello KK4HDZ.

Quote Originally Posted by KK4HDZ View Post
    I have a few of questions.
    1. qsl programs what is the best ones, i have e-qsl and waiting for my postcard for tqsl?
    eQSL.cc does not have TQSL cartificate. It is on LoTW. You can sign up on eQSL.cc webservice as well.
    Otherwise, you can download a log which supports eQSL. For me , the LOG is UR5EQF. You can also use another one: DX4WIN,

2. is Ecolink a valid way to contesting (ex. all states worked, DXing?..) since I don't have a radio, and I'm unable to get on air?
    You have to read policy at 1st to understand the communication channel.
    When you're connected to a node (-R or -L), you can call CQ using your mic on PC.

3. How do you CQ on this, do I pick a user, or repeter that is not buisy?
    If the user/repeater/link is not busy, just connect to it and call the user, call CQ on repeater/link.
    Please, read the policy or FAQ. I think you'll get more quality answers.

4. Log book question, since i'm not using a radio, am i required to log contacts for fcc?
    In my perspective, any HAM when he/she using the HAM radio comminucation channels (echolink, eQSO, IRLP, D-star and HAM bands) have to fill the log entries on his/her PC. I do it. So, you can do it as you wish. I recommended to fill all contacts in log book.
    73! Tony RC3C ex.RV3DHC
    QTH: Moscow, Troitsk

i just started using echolink and would like to log my contacts. i have XMLog as of today and not sure what "mode" to list. any help or advice is appreciated. dont mean to hijack the thread but figured its all kind of the same thing and anyone else searching for the same questions may only have to look in one thread rather than several. thanks guys.
    [B]many noses have been broken from the flapping of lips - norse proverb[/B]
    Sioux Empire Amateur Radio Club W0ZWY member