ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Licensing?: A new ham and an old ham

I got my first ticket in the late 60's ( shows my age ) when I got my ASET ( Associate in Science in Electronics Technology ) too and worked as an R&D technician for 27 years, until I could no longer find that work in the Denver area in the mid-90's. That was about the time I dropped off the air too. But I've kept up my Advanced license all these years, despite having no rig up and running.

So here we are, and my little sister is interested in getting her first license now. Guess who can coach her.

I took a quick look with Google and found some online self-study training at http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/ , but then remembered the ARRL and went and found
    http://www.arrl.org/shop/ham-radio-l...d-2nd-edition/

With my coaching, she's thinking of going right for her General, though she has absolutely no electronics background. ( but me to coach her )

I'm not even sure what bands I can use anymore. So much has changed, even since I was a tech in the early 90's. I got some catching up to do, Lucy.
    ( Lucy is our parrot. Better not let her in the shack when we're up & running, she talks, sings and does sound effects! )

But I'm wondering now, if I should upgrade to Extra. What the heck, huh? I'll get back on the air and get my feet wet first, of course. But if we get that ARRL package, does it have study stuff for that too? How's that "software" that goes with it?

I'm also thinking of a newer rig. I think I have an SB102 or 202 out in my old lab somewhere, but cant find the power supply. ( It's gotta be somewhere, right? )

I also have a trap vertical of some kind stored in the shed but don't even know what kind it is, it's disassembled and I'm not even sure.

But I was watching an ARRL guy from Texas ( Walt ) on streaming TV last week and he mentioned getting a great deal on a rig. Said he got a $1000 rig used, in great condition, for around $450. We're barely paying the bills in this economy, we could use something like that.

I'm interested in something like an FT-897D but where can I find a deal like that?

Melissa
    KW0WW

Don't forget the QRZ Practice exams. Located here:

http://www.qrz.com/ht/

Create her a users account that way the system can track her progress.
    Tim Wright AK4MP
    SR. DX DATABASE MANAGER
    ARRL Amateur Extra VE

"We have added your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
    We are the Dx Helpers."

" We are all like Tea bags- We don't know our own strength until we're in hot water."

KK4HTI Guest

I just tested and passed both Tech and General, and a guy at the same session with me passed Tech, General AND Extra on the same day. Both of us are 60. So doubling up (or more) CAN be done. As for your study material, the ARRL (and other) study guides cover one (1) level per book. I used the Gordon West books http://tinyurl.com/6tz2ea3 which I got from Amazon (I preferred them over the ARRL guides-like the layout better), AND remember that the Extra exam questions change June 30, 2012). I study for 30 days prior to taking the 2 exams. I'm now prepping for my Extra.

Like you I'm an electronics tech (retired) which makes theory a little easier for me (when I can get my brain to work right )
    My first rig is a Kenwood TS-380S (semi-boat anchor) from the mid-80's (love them tubes!). Used is great!

Good luck!

PS

I see from your profile you live on W. Kentucky in CO!?!
    I live IN Central Kentucky! And Tim is from Kentucky TOO!
    I just love the little stuff.
    Last edited by KK4HTI; 03-18-2012 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AK4MP View Post
    Don't forget the QRZ Practice exams. Located here:

http://www.qrz.com/ht/

Create her a users account that way the system can track her progress.
    Thanks Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by KK4HTI View Post
    I just tested and passed both Tech and General, and a guy at the same session with me passed Tech, General AND Extra on the same day. Both of us are 60. So doubling up (or more) CAN be done. As for your study material, the ARRL (and other) study guides cover one (1) level per book. I used the Gordon West books http://tinyurl.com/6tz2ea3 which I got from Amazon (I preferred them over the ARRL guides-like the layout better), AND remember that the Extra exam questions change June 30, 2012). I study for 30 days prior to taking the 2 exams. I'm now prepping for my Extra.

Like you I'm an electronics tech (retired) which makes theory a little easier for me (when I can get my brain to work right )

My first rig is a Kenwood TS-380S (semi-boat anchor) from the mid-80's (love them tubes!). Used is great!

Good luck!

PS

I see from your profile you live on W. Kentucky in CO!?!
    I live IN Central Kentucky! And Tim is from Kentucky TOO!
    I just love the little stuff.

LOL Thanks Robbie.

Quote Originally Posted by KK4HTI View Post

Good luck!
    I'm a little confused. If one gets the Extra package, doesn't that include all the material for the General too?

Another concern about Jennifer: I started playing with basic electronics when I was about 12, but she doesn't know the first thing, not an amp from a volt yet. So she needs really basic training too, for the things that just came natural to me years ago. I need to keep that in mind when looking for something. And she just told me that she things she'd do best with an online self paced trainer.
    Last edited by KW0WW; 03-18-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KW0WW View Post
    I'm a little confused. If one gets the Extra package, doesn't that include all the material for the General too?
    Typically, no. The study materials usually are sold one level at a time, not as if you're studying to take all 3 at once.