ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc

Gee... forgot this one:

See this link:

http://www.arrl.org/voip-faq

From the link:

Fine, so the Commission doesn't care about the VoIP part. Are there any particular rules of which a ham considering such an operation should be aware?

The obvious answer is all of them, but we'll focus on a few that are easy to overlook, particularly for stand-alone, single channel operations. The main points to remember are:
    •All stations must be controlled.
    •Only certain types of stations may be automatically controlled.
    •Simplex voice operations do not qualify for automatic control.
    •Any station that is remotely controlled via radio must utilize an auxiliary station to execute said control, and auxiliary stations are restricted in frequency.

It's not as hard as it sounds. All you have to do is think about the type of station you're operating and how it's controlled. Let's look at a few examples.

--------------------------

This would consider an RF controlled link to be an Auxilary station, which falls under rules in my previous message. As such, as the OP asked, use of an Echolink system on 10 and 6 meters would be forbidden. This also indicates "Open" Echolink RF nodes may be prohibited.
    John KD8DVR

Hi All,

Is the ARRL link http://www.arrl.org/voip-faq out of date? In the ARRL FAQ (see link and below), they say you can't operate as an Auxiliary Station in the 2 meter band, but as I understand YOU CAN except for 144.0 to 144.5 MHz and 145.8 to 146.0 MHz.

I believe the following is not correct. I believe 147.41 MHz is an approved Auxiliary Station frequency.

"•A control operator communicates with and controls a simplex VoIP node with a handheld, transmitting and listening to the node on 147.41 MHz. This is wireless remote control. Such control must be executed by an auxiliary station, but 147.41 MHz is not an allowed frequency for such a station. This operation is not legal. It may be made legal by locally controlling the node, choosing a control frequency on which auxiliary station operation is permitted, or controlling the node via a wireline link. The next three examples show each option in action."

I assume the info in the ARRL FAQ is out of date information, am I correct?

Steve - WB8GRS

Quote Originally Posted by KD8DVR View Post
    Gee... forgot this one:

See this link:

http://www.arrl.org/voip-faq

From the link:

Fine, so the Commission doesn't care about the VoIP part. Are there any particular rules of which a ham considering such an operation should be aware?

The obvious answer is all of them, but we'll focus on a few that are easy to overlook, particularly for stand-alone, single channel operations. The main points to remember are:
    •All stations must be controlled.
    •Only certain types of stations may be automatically controlled.
    •Simplex voice operations do not qualify for automatic control.
    •Any station that is remotely controlled via radio must utilize an auxiliary station to execute said control, and auxiliary stations are restricted in frequency.

It's not as hard as it sounds. All you have to do is think about the type of station you're operating and how it's controlled. Let's look at a few examples.

--------------------------

This would consider an RF controlled link to be an Auxilary station, which falls under rules in my previous message. As such, as the OP asked, use of an Echolink system on 10 and 6 meters would be forbidden. This also indicates "Open" Echolink RF nodes may be prohibited.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2