ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl

Default Satellite AR- app for android

Just wondering if anyone has added a camera enabled phone and the topical application to their portable rigs for sat comms.

I'm getting ready to make a tape measure beam, and am toying with the idea of putting a phone cradle so that the camera is looking down the boresight of the beam. I'm thinking that the augmented reality of the live camera with the graphics of the birds showing me where to point will make my chances much greater.

Any thoughts?

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, here's a link to the free version of application on the android market (now called google play).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gmentedreality
    [SIZE=1][B]"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A Heinlein[/B][/SIZE]

I believe you may be "over=-thinking" this. I mean, with an Arrow satellite antenna, it is not a critical, minute adjustment of the antenna that is needed
    to work the FM birds. I mean, there's plenty of "leeway" - it is not a stressful, degree-by-degree movement of the antenna.

Clint K6LCS
    http://wwww.work-sat.com
    Clint Bradford, K6LCS
    http://www.work-sat.com

I tried this very thing and quickly gave up. It was easy enough to get the phone rigged up, I used cardboard and rubber bands. The problem was that 1) each app seemed to have some quirk that made it not work exactly right and 2) even a little sunlight made the screen impossible to see. I really wanted it to work because I thought it was "cool", knowing full well it was overkill. I am back to a compass and paper though. Much easier.

>> ... I am back to a compass and paper though. Much easier.

You will get to a point where all you'll need to know is where North and South are, the AOS and LOS points, and time of the pass.

A solid satellite prediction program shouldn't throw any "quirks" at you. HamSatDroid works well on most Android devices. As you get used to a program, check either the widget on my site or another source for info (like AMSAT's site) to "double-check" your selected sat's location and passes.

Lots of links and info on work-sat.com for you.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
    Clint Bradford, K6LCS
    http://www.work-sat.com

Interesting input so far, thanks.

We use the app I sited in the topic name at work in conjunction with our sat truck. It's a small TV market, so our photographers double as the sat truck operator when we can't use LOS microwave. What I found nice about Satellite AR was that in that use, you turn the camera on, and it overlays the sky map over the video, you can pretty much tell if a given location will work for a given satellite or not before committing to a window on a particular bird.

From that experience, I kind of imagined that a "beam gun" with a screen to aim with might be some geeky amusement. Sure, it's overkill. Ain't that fun?

@N4BWH, I'm running a Samsung Stratosphere. It's got an OLED screen, and I don't run into much trouble with ambient light.
    [SIZE=1][B]"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A Heinlein[/B][/SIZE]