Callsign

Thread: Any Christian Echolink Nets out there?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-rl

Default Any Christian Echolink Nets out there?

I am looking to see if there is a christian group of HAMS that host a weekly net? Place where HAMS get together, maybe share some prayer requests or praises? The other question, is that even allowed on the frequencies? I don't see any rules saying you cannot. I can see maybe a club not allowing there repeater to host it or something. If someone wanted to set something like this up, what would be the process to do it on echolink?

Thanks,
    Brad
    KJ6TZL

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6TZL View Post
    I am looking to see if there is a christian group of HAMS that host a weekly net? Place where HAMS get together, maybe share some prayer requests or praises? The other question, is that even allowed on the frequencies? I don't see any rules saying you cannot. I can see maybe a club not allowing there repeater to host it or something. If someone wanted to set something like this up, what would be the process to do it on echolink?

Thanks,
    Brad
    KJ6TZL
    Hello Brad,

Years ago Religion, Politics , Broadcasting and Advertisement was a NO NO on the Amateur Bands.

Now it seems like anything goes from what I hear on the bands.

It just was not good practice.

There should be no problem using Echolink, as long as it is not retransmitted, Anything goes.

"Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6TZL View Post

Thanks,
    Brad
    KJ6TZL
    I can't see why it would not be allowed. I, however, do not know of any nets of this nature. To start one, you either need a simplex frequency, or to coordinate a repeater (Or, get a repeater pair). Contact the trustees of some local repeaters to get permission for a scheduled net. Hams in their local areas would do the same in their area (Simplex, new pair, or use a currently deployed repeater).

Then, from there, it's just a matter of setting up the EchoLink Conference.

Actually, the conference set up gets done first
    Corey, KC2UGV

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    I can't see why it would not be allowed. I, however, do not know of any nets of this nature. To start one, you either need a simplex frequency, or to coordinate a repeater (Or, get a repeater pair). Contact the trustees of some local repeaters to get permission for a scheduled net. Hams in their local areas would do the same in their area (Simplex, new pair, or use a currently deployed repeater).

Then, from there, it's just a matter of setting up the EchoLink Conference.

Actually, the conference set up gets done first

I seen a post on this website website about one, not sure where it is.

You may be better off watching Joel O. That is about as good as it gets. He is Great.

If there ever was one on the Air, Jamers would make it unusable.
    That is one reason that it was not allowed on Ham radio in the older days.

Welcome to 2012. Newer is not always better...

"Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

Quote Originally Posted by KA9JLM View Post
    I seen a post on this website website about one, not sure where it is.

You may be better off watching Joel O. That is about as good as it gets. He is Great.

If there ever was one on the Air, Jamers would make it unusable.
    That is one reason that it was not allowed on Ham radio in the older days.

Welcome to 2012. Newer is not always better...

I will pass on Joel O. Thanks!!! I have my reasons.

I can see why it is not allowed from one standpoint. But then we have Nets and conversations about everything else on the air. Not looking for 10 hours of net. Just looking for a quick check-in check-out, I might just do a Google Plus hangout. Plus not like someone has to stay on the air and listen, they can just change frequency for 30 min. But if it got out of hand, and ran over and took up lots of air time, then I could see the problem.

thanks for the feedback guys!

KJ6TZL

I have heard a net on 75 meters where they do read passages from the Bible and exchange prayers. Haven't heard any jammers but didn't listen that long. There is no rule concerning the use of amateur radio for this purpose. If there were I am certain it would have been against everything that the Constitution would have to say about it. You are free to practice (or not practice) your religion even on the amateur bands. There is a group that meets on 3.913 Mhz just about every night. Sometimes they have religious discussions and in stark contrast to other 75 meter get togethers this one is civil. It would be okay for your kids to listen to.
    Have fun
    Gary