Callsign
ad: sscomp

Thread: Logikit SCAF-1, need some advise......

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl

Default Logikit SCAF-1, need some advise......

I'm looking for a filter for my ts 130 and ts 520. I like cw and do some ssb. I have cw filters in both radios. Am I going to see an improvement using the scaf 1 on these old rigs that have cw filters. Would I see a better result with a west mountain dsp filter? Would I be better just to leave them alone?
    I've listened to the examples on the web site and they are both impressive but just wonder if I would really see that with my radios.

thank you Brian KB4MNG

Last year I resolved that dilemma and opted to buy the Scaf-1. I have an FT-817 with 500 hz filter. I find that the Scaf-1 kills background hiss fb. It also killsreasonably near qrm. I also use an FT-857 with DSP. The DSP is fantastic at both tasks. Tough choice but the SCAF-1 was worth the modest cost for use particularly with the 817. The SCAF-1 was less expensive than a BHI Dsp for the 817. The DSP will probably be at least as effective, but I am sure you would find the SCAF-1 als very effective.

Tough choice good luck. Mike WF8O

Keep in mind that the SCAF-1 does have limitations. Compared to a DSP unit the SCAF-1 is only a lowpass filter. So if you have a CW signal with a 800Hz tone and someone comes on within the passband of your receiver like at 650Hz you cannot get rid of that signal. With a DSP you can. The SCAF-1 does help though and it's much better than nothing. The cost is quite a bit lower than the DSP units that are currently on the market.
    Gary

Will this thing help get the NOISE out of my ProIII? In a manufactured home community, using a S9 vertical with LOTS of radials. I dont stand a chance with weak stations, too much white noise, etc. Will I be happy, or think I wasted my$$??
    73, de Gene - AF3Y
    (ex N3UO)

My understanding, especially with the autek. They do nothing to help with noise....

To eliminate noise you need to do that in the earliest stages of the receive chain and doing it at the antenna is the best place. Going from a vertical to a horizontal antenna will usually help, some times a lot. Distance is your best solution, the farther away you are from the noise source the better. That can even mean going higher and you'll cause less RFI too.
    A DSP unit that is in the audio output of a rig can make a difference but only if the desired signal is heard just inside the noise. If it's buried in the noise it will be difficult to impossible to bring it out. This applies to voice modes, for CW and Digital there are methods to bring the signal out of the noise. Sometimes as much as 30db below the noise. This would be an ideal way to operate. Either that or moving to a new place is the next step.
    Hope this helps
    Gary