ad: l-rl
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Rig Control with OSX Lion

I'm using Aether log with an FT5000d and just upgraded to OSX Lion. All went well except that I've lost communication with the radio for logging. It worked well until the upgrade. The CAT light on the rig and the adapter no longer blinks, but all the settings seem to be correct, and I've checked everything in the program and the Mac. Possibly I need a new driver.

Has anyone had any experience with with rig control and OSX Lion?

Steve, KD2BS

Quote Originally Posted by KD2BS View Post
    I'm using Aether log with an FT5000d and just upgraded to OSX Lion. All went well except that I've lost communication with the radio for logging. It worked well until the upgrade. The CAT light on the rig and the adapter no longer blinks, but all the settings seem to be correct, and I've checked everything in the program and the Mac. Possibly I need a new driver.

Has anyone had any experience with with rig control and OSX Lion?

Steve, KD2BS

What were you using for rig control before the update? An USB-Serial adapter of some kind? Odds are you need to reinstall/upgrade the drivers. You say the lights on the rig and the adapter no longer blink....are they lit up at all?

I know that when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion, my Navigator interface needed to have the FTDI drivers reinstalled....Lion did not keep them during the "upgrade". Also, I needed to rename the devices to get them to work with Lion.

So, let us know more about the interface/adapter you're using and we can give more specific advice.

Dave
    K3DCW

Thanks for the reply Dave. The driver was the problem. I was using an IOGear adapter and they don't have an update, but checking some other adapters online, I found the QVC UR2000m2 which appears similar to the one I use. I was able to find a driver at http://xbsd.nl/2011/07/pl2303-serial...-osx-lion.html. One of the comments on that blog also offered an installer which I downloaded. It worked perfectly and I'm up and running again.

I'm always worried about what I'll lose when upgrading an OS and my logging program was the one I was most concerned with. It works so all is well. On the other hand, MS Office no longer works so I did have to download Numbers and Pages to read my spreadsheets and documents, but that was a minor problem that I probably should have anticipated.

Thanks, again!

Steve, KD2BS

You should be able to re-install MS Office. I have it running here (MS Office for Mac 2011) with no problems. I do recall that there was an update that needed to be downloaded to make it work without any problems, however, so perhaps you need to run the updater for Office.

Dave
    K3DCW