ad: M2Ant-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Tampa, FL February 29, 2012: HRD Software, LLC announced today they have released version 5.11a of Ham Radio Deluxe.

This latest version follows the release of version 5.1 on Feb 10, 2012 and is another step in the continuing project of the company to eliminate outstanding issues found in previous versions of HRD. Rick Ruhl, W4PC, co-owner and lead programmer said, "We’ll continue to update the 5.1x releases with "bug fixes" as the development of enhancements for the 6.0 release continues.

To facilitate both bug fixes and enhancements to Ham Radio Deluxe, the development team is to moving the program source code from the obsolete Visual C++ 6.0 development environment to current Visual Studio 2010 development environment. This major step enables a more straightforward, bug-free development process and better program integration using the more powerful VS 2010 and its support tools for enhancements to HRD."

The 5.x releases of HRD are free. HRD Software LLC does have direct paid support with phone and email for the 5.1x products for an introductory price of $59.95. This pricing plan includes version 6.0 at no additional charge. The introductory price expires upon release of Ham Radio Deluxe 6.0.

The scheduled release of Ham Radio Deluxe 6.0 is May 18, 2012 at the Dayton Hamvention and on line. The MSRP for Ham Radio Deluxe 6.0 with support will be $79.95 when it is released.

HRD Downloads: http://www.hamradiodeluxe.com

HRD Forum: http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com

2. KH2D

KH2D Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have an email address for bug reports?

73, Jim KH2D

3. W8MRL

W8MRL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, they just priced themselves out of the market. At $25.00 they sell a hundred thousand copies at $80.00 they sell ten thousand. Volume not high price to make your profit.

At $80.00 I guess I'll run the latest version for many years.

4. KC9MEA

KC9MEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Even $60 is a bit much, but $80? Maybe they're trying to compete with MixW or something.

5. W9CLL

W9CLL Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope they are just getting too full of themselves, time for an open source rival to emerge.

6. W0RIC

W0RIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HRD should continue to be free. Sell advertising to cover costs. IF it becomes a manditory charge, many users(thousands) will flee back to other free programs. EXAMPLE: If tax software costs 40 bucks and you get a refund, its a good deal. 80 bucks for a program like HRD is a rip off. I guess the dumbing down of ham radio has gone way too far now.

7. W3TWG

W3TWG Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I would ask what the term/version limit is for the $80 before I decide if it's a deal or not. If it's registration and support until v7 and a garrantee that will take at least two years, with a promise of worthwhile enhancements in new version - maybe then it's worth supporting. But not $80 a year.

8. KJ4IDH

KJ4IDH Ham Member QRZ Page

What if we want version 6 without any type of support?

Not sure if the upgrade is worth the risk if it runs like PHP-nuke and the poll on the site.

Do you really want to make a profit? If so offer it as free then charge for support. Get them hooked first.

9. K2AFY

K2AFY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Over priced there are alternatives out there for DM780 and the Logging. Time to switch.

10. KA1VT

KA1VT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it worth the cost?

One has to ask oneself if over the years that you have gotten it for free and all the hours of development to get it to the point where it is - "Is it worth $80"?
    Over the years I have given them $$$ to help out and now they want me to pay for it for support?
    $80 is a bit much that is for sure! They may be shooting themselves in the foot with a cost of $80 - the question is what is the difference between forum support and their new support?
    Personally I have found hams from the world over have given me more support then what I would ever get from a single source point.
    Continue to ask for donations and offer a better support system to those who do, rather than pricing yourself out of the market; is my thought!

vry 73
    Chet - KA1ILH

11. KD8MJR

KD8MJR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think people are a little hard on these guys, they did release version 5.10 for free and it did fix a few issues with 5.0Beta and it worked much better than 5B for most people so I dont think any of us can complain about that. I think the $80 price tag is a bit steep I would be happier with a $50 price tag without any support. Still I will wait and see what 6.0 offers, if they have fixed the bugs and added better CW decoding in DM-780 it might become a deal maker for me. I sure would love if the Waterfall could show CW and RTTY, it would make life during contests so much easier. Anyway I hope they keep up the good work I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  12. KD8MJR

KD8MJR Ham Member QRZ Page

"the development team is to moving the program source code from the obsolete Visual C++ 6.0 development environment to current Visual Studio 2010 development environment"

I remember saying in the first thread the one about HRD being sold, that they would be better off rewritting the code then trying to patch the old code, I guess I was right because I have used the "Conversion tools" that microsoft offers and they are fairly useless! So I imagine they just went ahead and rewrote the software which IMO is quicker and neater to do than trying to decipher another coders work.

13. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

FLDigi... all the above plus... and F R E E

As for the CAT software, I don't use it, but FLDigi does cover a lot of rigs with frequency control.

14. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

FREE is GOOD!

15. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. Sure didn't take long for the nay-sayers to come crawling back! Folks, I don't like to pay for anything I don't have to either, but 80 bucks is well within what other radio software costs. If you paid for anything, you'd know that. I don't think I've bought ANY ham software for under 50 bucks or so. Some are over 200, and for those with more money than they need, you can easily spend $8k for packages such as Hoka.

You can pay 60 now and save 20 bucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.