Callsign
ad: dxeng
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4 circuit TRRS 3.5mm plugs - how to wire?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
  1. Default 4 circuit TRRS 3.5mm plugs - how to wire?

I got a bag of 4 circuit TRRS 3.5mm coaxial plugs from Mouser and I am a bit unsure of how to wire them. The plugs have the standard ground/sleeve that also acts as a strain relief when crimped over the wire, but they don't have the standard solder terminals inside. The terminal for the last ring is a very thin rectangular protrusion and the tip and first ring are "pins", one inside the other with dilectric in between. The amount of the metal exposed is very small and not easily soldered to.

Any ideas on how to use these?
    Steve

Are you talking about these, or something worse?

trrs.jpg

I got a bag of 4 circuit TRRS 3.5mm coaxial plugs from Mouser and I am a bit unsure of how to wire them.
    The amount of the metal exposed is very small and not easily soldered to.
    Steve -

Did you know that Mouser sells these connectors as "pigtails"? (part of pre-made cable assemblies).
    http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/644/1235.pdf

Kobiconn makes these in 3 and 6 foot lengths with 3.5 mm TRRS already soldered : Mouser, part number: 172-7447-E
    Cables (Cable Assemblies) 3.5MM 4 COND R/A PLG 72" BLACK/STRIP/TIN $4.77 each
    http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-301301.pdf

--
    73, greg
    Last edited by W9GB; 02-29-2012 at 03:16 AM.
    Nullius in verba

On the pigtails and pre-built cables, you have to watch which one they connect as common or shield. Some devices (like the iPhone) don't use the ring closest to the housing as ground. And some of the radios (like the FT-60) don't have room for a connector with a large diameter flange -- I had to taper down the molded plastic on one with a deburring wheel to get it to plug into the radio all the way.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by KK4FUS View Post
    Are you talking about these, or something worse?

trrs.jpg
    That is pretty much what I have.
    Steve

Cut the wires and strip to exact lengths needed.

Twist stranded wires, then TIN each one with solder first.

Sometimes helps to also TIN the connection points as well.

Tiny iron tip, good amount of heat so you can get in and get out, place a tinned wire on top of a tinned contact and apply heat with tip of iron on top. Just long enough to let the two tinned solders flow. Get in and get out. Keep holding in place until the joint hardens. Move on to the next one, etc.

Magnifier can be a big help here.

Quote Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
    That is pretty much what I have.
    It's not that hard to solder once you have proper tools and some soldering skills.

First, tin the contact pads. You have to do it very quickly so:
    a) the plastic insulator won't have time to melt;
    b) you will have a layer of flux remaining on the pad.

Then strip and tin your wires. Again, the quicker the better, for the same 2 reasons as above.

Trim the wires to make the exposed conductor the same size as the contact pad.

Now solder the wires onto the pads. Once again, the keyword is "quick". One single touch of the iron, just long enough to melt the solder completely. Hold the wire steady while the solder is hot.

Oh, and the most important thing.
    Don't forget to put the connector cover onto the cable before you solder it if the other end of the cable is already wired! It gets me every time.

P.S. About the "right tools"... Your soldering iron must have a fine tip. Temperature adjustment is highly recommended. The solder should be rosin core type, reasonably thin (1/32" or so in diameter).

When you gain enough experience, you will be able to solder TSSOP chips using a 3-pound 200W soldering gun with a 1/4" wide tip. Until then, you should start learning with proper tools.
    Last edited by KK4FUS; 03-01-2012 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KK4FUS View Post
    Oh, and the most important thing.
    Don't forget to put the connector cover onto the cable before you solder it if the other end of the cable is already wired! It gets me every time.
    That is step 5 -- cut the cable off the connector, slip the cover on the cable, and repeat steps 1-4.

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

Quote Originally Posted by KF5FEI View Post
    Some devices (like the iPhone) don't use the ring closest to the housing as ground.
    My camcorder and new Chinese Wonder HT are like that. The ground is the ring next to the shell.

Does any one know why?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

That's simple Tom;
    To keep you buying accessories from them.
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast