ad: Alphaant-1

HSMM-MESH

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5LMM, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HSMM-MESH (High Speed MultiMedia) is a great new technology that we as amateur radio Operators can take full advantage of. It's Wi-Fi on steroids!
    We don't have to be hobbled by part 15 limitations, we can also use OUR frequency allocations, and avoid a majority of interference by part 15 devices.
    Common, inexpensive off the shelf equipment is used and or simply modified for this application.

HSMM-MESH can enable Hams to have a robust mesh network for uses such as VOIP, callbook lookups, communication, SAR, mapping, EM-Comm, etc. The applications are endless!

More information at http://hsmm-mesh.org

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very interesting... I walked past of huge pile of these routers at a surplus store recently, and I knew I would regret it.

3. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

5. AE5HE

AE5HE Ham Member QRZ Page

I am one of several amateur radio operators in El Paso, Texas that are experimenting with HSMM-MESH. We have monthly meetings in local parks to experiment with different methods of using the MESH network. On February 19th we were able to use the system to provide support for the annual Susan Komen Race for the Cure. The HSMM system was used to provide video from 9 ip cameras on the 1.8 mile course to race control. It was truly a rewarding experience and we look forward to expanding the support next year. The photo shows 8 active cameras before the start of the event. Video.JPG

6. KG4RRH

KG4RRH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"New" technology? I've been running MESH routers for quite sometime, as in like 5+ years, what's "new" about it? I've also never "had" to push the power beyond part 15 limits either and I've got one router that's got almost a 1Km path. Proper antennas.

7. W5LMM

Hi Mike!

Yes, it is not really "New" to us IT types, however, it's virtually unknown to the Ham community, and I'm trying to get the word out. I'd like to see it mainstream. The more the merrier, and we could all benefit.

8. W5LMM

That's what I'm talking about! GREAT Use! Things like this, and exchange of information during emergencies, mapping, etc. This technology in our toolbag can greatly increase the value of services we offer our communities!

9. KF7RHB

KF7RHB Ham Member QRZ Page

This is coolbeans! I'd heard of the mesh potato, and am looking forward to modding a WRT54G for hinternet funtimes. I can say that even with a good waveguide, part 15 power would not be enough for most applications out in my rugged area. Glad to hear there is a lot of activity in developing this stuff for ham use. Would you please recommend any groups that might help new hams, or hams new to HSMM applications get started?

10. KF7RHB

Ok, your site has happy forums.

This was a fine basic intro. But the mesh concept is pretty immediate for folks who are familiar with ptp. Essentially it's a high speed automated traffic net system, so it's funny hams haven't jumped on this stuff more and sooner. The WRT54G is an awesome radio, a hackable standard, so a good choice. I was going to flash mine with one of the standard WRT linices, but your mesh firmware distro looks ripping swank. Auto linked ptp mesh, the advertised services, and virtual tunnelling are good ideas. If hams actually want more young folks getting licenses, forget HT's, this is the way to go. It's inexpensive gear, too. Get the highschoolers building these...

Well done, sir. Thanks for head's up. Frankly, I'm jazzed. +1 convert.

11. W9IQ

W9IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Lee,

Do you know the licensing terms of the HSMM-Mesh firmware? I searched the site and I couldn't find any references.

- Glenn DJ0IQ and W9IQ

12. KF7RHB

Seconded. I saw the trademark and was wondering that, too. It is a gnu-Linux distribution, yes?

13. W9IQ

W9IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would assume there are cascading licensing issues since, for example, OLSR appears to be imbedded in HSMM-Mesh.

- Glenn DJ0IQ and W9IQ

14. W9IQ

W9IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

To save me the hassles of digging through the HSMM-Mesh code, can someone tell me if this solution uses or requires encryption? I see a reference to the highly flawed CQ article on the topic but I cannot easily find a clear answer.

Thanks in advance,

- Glenn DJ0IQ and W9IQ

15. K5KTF

K5KTF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any Ham can download and use it, free of charge or royalty.
    The TM was to try and keep the use of the acronym for this project specifically (if something says 'HSMM-MESHtm', then it should link up with other HSMM-MESH nodes without problem).
    Thats why we dont even require users to register/login to download the stuff (only to use our forums and to see our googlemap of existing nodes would you need to register/login, but its nice for us to know who is using it, so join up ! :) )

And for Glenn W9IQ, there is some encryption going on, but its between nodes, and the user doesnt need to deal with it. Its the same as a closed repeater... just to keep the riff-raff out/secure the network, not to obscure the meaning

Thanks LMM for the shout. I was surprised to see a gent in our forum post that he "saw it on the zed", so I came to look.....

73 All
    Jim
    K5KTF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.