ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-tentec

KF5LJW

Thanks for all the info.

I have a unique situation, and I have yet to find an answer (web, books, elmers....) I live on the 3rd floor of a three story brick bldg, with a flat roof just above me. Im hearing vague warnings about excessive wire length in the grounding system. But no specific guidelines. Can you help? If so, my first question would be:

How do I ground at the feed line cable entrance when Im on the third floor? Being so close to the antenna (and so far from the ground) I dont want lightning to fry my equipment .... or me!

thanks
    David
    Chicago IL

Quote Originally Posted by W9KQX View Post
    KF5LJW

Thanks for all the info.

I have a unique situation, and I have yet to find an answer (web, books, elmers....) I live on the 3rd floor of a three story brick bldg, with a flat roof just above me. Im hearing vague warnings about excessive wire length in the grounding system. But no specific guidelines. Can you help? If so, my first question would be:

How do I ground at the feed line cable entrance when Im on the third floor? Being so close to the antenna (and so far from the ground) I dont want lightning to fry my equipment .... or me!

thanks
    David
    Chicago IL
    W8JI addresses somewhat your situation; through his own experience (and knowledge); his second-floor discussion MAY apply to your third-floor situation in many ways. Check it out @: http://www.w8ji.com/second_floor_grounding.htm
    Last edited by WD5JOY; 03-05-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WD5JOY View Post
    W8JI addresses somewhat your situation; through his own experience (and knowledge); his second-floor discussion MAY apply to your third-floor situation in many ways. Check it out @: http://www.w8ji.com/second_floor_grounding.htm
    Fortunately, I have been reading the W8JI website, and I did see that webpage. His situation is an outside grounded tower, with a 2nd floor counterpoise for RF, not lightning. 9He says lightning is mitigated at the entrance.) My sit is different: my 3rd floor "shack" (ie bedroom) is right between the roof antenna and the earth. My first concern is a lightning strike. The W8JI article suggests a counterpoise under the floor or carpet. I admit Im not technically skilled, but Im concerned a counterpoise would light my carpet (or bedroom) on fire, from a lightning strike.

Quote Originally Posted by K9KJM View Post
    (Back in 1982, The restrictions and codes around here were considerably different regarding using rock salt to enhance tower grounding- I'm just sayin, It works)
    I agree it works, I just have two concerns. Corrosion and EPA. As for me I cannot use it professionally. EPA & OSHA since 2009 have gone bizerk with regulations and fines...

Quote Originally Posted by W9KQX View Post
    OK the code is your friend, go back to the Opening post and read your options in 810.21.

What you need to do is get up on the roof and look for building structural steel and piping from electrical, plumbing, and HVAC to use as a ground. If there are other antennas up there, well...

Building structural steel is an excellent ground, better than anything a HAM can build. Thank of it like a tall tower structural steel You have thousands of parallel conductors(loops) with massive surface area with a direct path burried deep with a massive ground field (the building concrete foundation and rebar)

Then in your situation build a Surge Reference Equalizer which I will explain in Part 3.
    Last edited by KF5LJW; 03-06-2012 at 02:45 AM.

I greatly appreciate the NEC citation. I could not find that online.

My building is brick and frame. No structural steel. Water pipe and HVAC are not convenient. Fortunately, its my bldg and I can run my own ground down the side of bldg. But the runs would be long and I have questions about gauge and RF.

It sounds like the answer to my question about grounding the feed line cable entrance will be explained in pt 3. I look forward to reading it.

Thanks!
    David

Default Surge Reference Equalizer? OR ----- Glorified Extension Cord?

While waiting for 'Part 3' (and I learned a LOT from 1 & 2 already!) might I present the following? I will anyways!

Would this "possibly"qualify as a "Surge Reference Equalizer"? Or - a glorified extension cord? Curious - as it is being 'sold as" a "Surge REFERRED Equalizer"for the grand total of $14.44 'merikan-dollars.

Belkin F9G1032-10GRY

10-Outlet Surge Master Gold Series offers 'surge protection' for desktop PCs, all-in-one machines, 2-line business phones and DSL/cable modems.

TVSS Design
    2950 Joules energy rating.
    Spike amperage of 150,000 Amps
    10 surge protected outlets
    H-N 330V
    H-G 330V
    N-G 330V
    also has ports for TELCO RJ45 terminal, and threaded CATV terminal.

** Things are slow around the old folks home today. Nursie is holding the afternoon 'meds' until we return her stethoscope and hand sannytizer! So .......... no place else to hide but here ........... supposedly writtin' to the kids! Ya know 'the kids' ...... the ones who are just waitin' to spend the inheritance they hopefully NEVER get 'cuz I spent it on wine, wimmen and radios ..... and wasted the rest!

*** Oh yes - the 'question' is valid though! Really!
    Last edited by WD5JOY; 03-08-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Cuz I spelled a LOT really poorly!

Quote Originally Posted by WD5JOY View Post
    Would this "possibly"qualify as a "Surge Reference Equalizer"? Or - a glorified extension cord? Curious - as it is being 'sold as" a "Surge REFERRED Equalizer"for the grand total of $14.44 'merikan-dollars.

Belkin F9G1032-10GRY

10-Outlet Surge Master Gold Series offers 'surge protection' for desktop PCs, all-in-one machines, 2-line business phones and DSL/cable modems.

TVSS Design
    2950 Joules energy rating.
    Spike amperage of 150,000 Amps
    10 surge protected outlets
    H-N 330V
    H-G 330V
    N-G 330V
    also has ports for TELCO RJ45 terminal, and threaded CATV terminal.
    Well the answer is yes/no and a poor unit at that. The YES part is the unit is made for a TV and A/V system using CATV or SATV. The NO part is not made for HAM applications. For HAM you pretty much have to make your own. Might be possible one of the equipment manufactures might make something, but I am not aware of any as of yet. I made my own. However it is something along those lines with some optional DC power isolation.

Sorry I have not issued Part 3 yet as work has taken priority. Got to make a living first.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6