ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters

Default Motorola PA information needed

Good Evening folks

I got this PA a few weeks ago in a hamfest but couldn't find any information. It had a sticker saying "Motorola 6 mts. Power Amplifier" and that was it (please see attached pictures)
    I am building a 6 mts. transverter and looking for the possibility of using this one as an amplifier.
    I would appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance and have a good day

Aldo CX4BBD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks to me like the RF section of an older mobile radio, perhaps a Syntor. Looks older than a Maratrac.

Looks like a Micor to which someone has added an additional heatsink.

This amplifier is only good for CW or FM/PM since it runs Class "C". Definitely not suitable for use where a true linear amplifier is needed (i.e. SSB or AM).

Glen, K9STH

Looks like a GE Mastr Pro to me That board shows a GE part number, and those aren't Motorola in-house transistors.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by K1ZJH View Post
    Looks like a GE Mastr Pro to me That board shows a GE part number, and those aren't Motorola in-house transistors.

Pete
    That is exactly what my initial impulse was! I have a Delta SX and it looks very similar. But I went with the Motorola assumption...

The Heat-sink design is GE MASTR series .. this unit has been pulled and modified.
    Identical castings to a 110 watt VHF GE MASTR II mobile unit that I have in garage
    This may have come from a mobile unit or a rack-mount repeater radio.

The 9-pin test-set connector (black plug-in connector in photo) is same one used for the GE MASTR II,

Motorola did not use this style of connector and the GE MASTR-PRO series used a different style of test-set connector !!
    The MASTR PRO was also a Hybrid PA design using vacuum tubes for drivers and final PA tube.

GO TO Repeater Builders TIP, and use that GE part number: PL19xxxx
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/

They should be able to quickly Cross Reference to GE Manuals, specifications, etc.
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/geindex.html

==
    w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 02-22-2012 at 04:15 PM.
    Nullius in verba

Good Evening guys

Thank you for all the information you guys provided me. I remember an old GE VHF transceiver that I had several years ago with a heatsink very similar to this one.
    So now I have a much better view on where to direct my search, a GE Mastr II. I was looking at the Repeater Builder site before posting, by the way a fantastic site, but not on the right spot

One more time: I really and greatly appreciate all your help

Aldo CX4BBD