Callsign
ad: N4KCAd-1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Got a strange feeling when visiting K3MJW SKYVIEW RADIO SOCIETY club meeting tonight

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-sarc

I have the good fortune of being in an area with a great club; W4UCJ, Thomasville Amateur Radio Club. I imagine that Radio Clubs are like all other organizations; there are some that are more insular for whatever reason, good or bad, and there are some that are much more open. Our current roster shows 169 members, with probably two dozen being family members; over a period of time many of the family members have become licensed. We have an active outreach for youth in our area, with Youth Nets every week and Youth Activities at our Hamfest and for Field Day. We actively encourage our young people to participate in ARES; a high school student trapped in a school, after a tornado, with an HT will be able to save lives! I can think of a dozen members, off the top of my head, that are under 18, with many that are 12 or under! The range of member ages for adults is across the board, from college students to senior citizens.

We have members that will help you build an antenna, help you diagnose a radio problem, teach classes, be VE's, talk at your school, meet with public officials, or any other activity that promotes Amateur Radio.

All of this is happening in rural Southwest Georgia/North Florida!

I say all this, not so much to brag about our club, but to enforce the idea that there are friendly, family oriented, growing Amateur Radio Clubs out there; if you have not found the one that "fits" for you, keep looking!
    Virgil - KJ4ZNK

I wouldn't consider joining any club that would have me as a member.
    Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.
    WA6TKD, Larry

Quote Originally Posted by AE8Q View Post
    I Got a strange feeling when visiting K3MJW SKYVIEW RADIO SOCIETY club meeting for the first time Tuesday evening.. I decided to visit this radio club for the first time (and the last time for me) .. Drove 20+ miles got to the place found a parking place got out of the car and headed to the door.. Then this feeling came over me that I better leave.. I remembered a ham telling me they (K3MJW) did not like outsiders and I was thinking that being from 8 Land (Ohio) I was about as outside as one could be... Pennsylvania gives most hams from out of state the UnWelcome feeling.. Anybody else had a nice cold shoulder & unwelcome feeling from the local radio clubs ?
    So you didn't actually go inside? If not then how can you tell us you were not welcome?

I read the article from the link that was posted and it struck me that if this club welcomes non hams to their club station then they would likely welcome you.

Your statement would be like me saying "That golf course is a dog track" and yet I have never set foot on the course.

In sunny Ireland we would welcome the walking dead to a meeting,,,, come visit us,,,,,,, Seamus GI4SZW / EI4KE

Our club goes on every year. It's vital and alive, and I'd guess that more than half of the members are under 55. We strive to have good presentations every meeting. The last one featured a renowned DXpeditioner, Dr. Glenn Johnson, W0GJ, fresh back from Malpelo with his talk titled "To Hell and Back". In January, we had Tom Vinson, NY0V, one of the leading members of a team of researchers seeking Amelia Earhart's plane that have been featured on PBS.

The club membership stays fairly steady at around 100 in a county with about 500 hams. The club is very active in public service and SKYWARN, and we put on a great Field Day every year, highlighted by some very good food and lots of fun. We work pretty hard to get younger people involved, and I think we're pretty successful.

Anyway, not every club is for everybody. I know that I visited many clubs when I lived in California, and I really fit in well with one club in particular, even though most of the members were several times my age back then. Other clubs seemed too formal for me. I'm sure that what I find inviting would repel others. If you have a choice, shop around for a good club.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Western Michigan. Great summers but nasty winters.

Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    Our club goes on every year. It's vital and alive, and I'd guess that more than half of the members are under 55. We strive to have good presentations every meeting. The last one featured a renowned DXpeditioner, Dr. Glenn Johnson, W0GJ, fresh back from Malpelo with his talk titled "To Hell and Back". In January, we had Tom Vinson, NY0V, one of the leading members of a team of researchers seeking Amelia Earhart's plane that have been featured on PBS.

The club membership stays fairly steady at around 100 in a county with about 500 hams. The club is very active in public service and SKYWARN, and we put on a great Field Day every year, highlighted by some very good food and lots of fun. We work pretty hard to get younger people involved, and I think we're pretty successful.

Anyway, not every club is for everybody. I know that I visited many clubs when I lived in California, and I really fit in well with one club in particular, even though most of the members were several times my age back then. Other clubs seemed too formal for me. I'm sure that what I find inviting would repel others. If you have a choice, shop around for a good club.
    That sounds like our club, the Muskegon Area Amateur Radio Council.

The way they treat new members is very impressive. They pretty much roll out the red carpet for them. They love to get new members of any age, race or gender, and are gracious, friendly and polite. The monthly meetings are open to the public. No need to be either a member or a ham to attend the meetings. Board meetings are separate and have different rules, of course.
    Mark, K8MHZ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2