Callsign
ad: sscomp
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got a strange feeling when visiting K3MJW SKYVIEW RADIO SOCIETY club meeting tonight

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec

Default Got a strange feeling when visiting K3MJW SKYVIEW RADIO SOCIETY club meeting tonight

I Got a strange feeling when visiting K3MJW SKYVIEW RADIO SOCIETY club meeting for the first time Tuesday evening.. I decided to visit this radio club for the first time (and the last time for me) .. Drove 20+ miles got to the place found a parking place got out of the car and headed to the door.. Then this feeling came over me that I better leave.. I remembered a ham telling me they (K3MJW) did not like outsiders and I was thinking that being from 8 Land (Ohio) I was about as outside as one could be... Pennsylvania gives most hams from out of state the UnWelcome feeling.. Anybody else had a nice cold shoulder & unwelcome feeling from the local radio clubs ?

Did you hear banjos? What happened?

What feelings?
    Since moving to TX I have actually encountered:

….what is 7 (seven) doing on OUR reflector???....
    …we do not experiment with antennas on Field Day...almost told to go away...
    ( later frantically saving their equipment from torrential rain storm with the club members “observing”...)
    …. been denied access to discussion after agreeing with a local that „our meetings are boring“
    ( Later offered to be allowed back which I respectfully declined )
    … after suggesting few changes in operation ( in writing) , been told „this is the way we have always done it and we are not going to change”...
    ,,,been kicked out from volunteering to be a QSL manager after some disagreements with the self appointed “club czar“....

These are my actual experiences, not just feelings. You came to your own conclusion.

On the bright side, recently talked to many really friendly folks during not strictly amateur radio gathering.
    Had a blast operating one of the TX premium contest setup, a real antenna farm, in a great company.

There is still hope for this misfit to fit in somewhere.
    My motto now ….never give up, never surrender.

73 Vaclav

Try having a newish "technician" callsign (I've never held a technician class license, btw).

Or, try being young. I'm not all that young, but I look much younger than I am, which is a good thing among everyone else in this world except hams, apparently.

I've had mostly positive experiences with Radio Clubs. I just don't like hanging around with people who are almost twice my age. It's like visiting a retirement village. When I was taking my General Class Exam, I did encounter one grumpy VE that kept complaining that he "just wanted to get this over with and go home". I would've shrugged it off except he kept on and on with it. I told him he should reconsider his volunteer efforts.

My advice; keep looking. If you really want to be part of a Club, you're bound to find a group to fit in with eventually.

I have checked into a net for the PA club and they were quite welcoming to this old boy from VA.

Our clubs here welcome everyone who still has a pulse.

In most, about 70-80% of the membership are guys over 55 years old.

We trip over ourselves rolling out the welcome mat for anyone younger; if they don't join, the clubs will all die (literally) in the next decade or two.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

You never actually went inside the building where the club meeting was being held. No actual interaction with the club members present. No actual experiences to report. Yet you post a negative comment about a specific radio club. Sounds like a Troll...

I can understand the "cold shoulder..."

I became involved with a group of hams that met every Friday for lunch. Everything went along fine until one day when I became a bit over-animated in my conversation. One of the others hams came over to me after lunch and mentioned I should tone things down a bit. I apologized to him and said I would keep it in mind. I figured everything was fine until the next week when I didn't receive the e-mail saying where the group was meeting that day and I haven't received one since (three months) in spite of a couple of e-mails to the organizer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast