Callsign
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is palstar speakers worth the price?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Is palstar speakers worth the price?

I've been looking for a good speaker. Nothing fancy and I'm not worried about it matching my equipment. I've discovered palstar products. Man they are expensive. I don't mind paying it if the performance is there. What do you think? Can I get an 8 ohm 6 inch speaker and make one myself that is just as good?

thanks Brian KB4MNG

I can't speak for the Palstar, but another 'Cadillac' of speakers to look at is the Voice Master Pro. I've tried many and this is the best I have used. The reviews are great for both.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...STRK:MESELX:IT.

I have no comment on the commercial speakers. If what you want is a plain vanilla speaker, then yes, any decent speaker salvaged from a stereo etc, is suitable. Mount it any way you choose, in a box, on a board, whatever. When you compare the tiny 2" speakers in most rigs, anything bigger; 4", 6", 8" and pointed at your head instead of the shelf above the rig is going to be much more intelligible.

As far as DSP, I don't want anything between me and the signal. I suspect many ops are just happy to have less static noise without realizing what they are missing.
    "RF gotta go somewhere!"

I think the Palstar speaker is nutty.

11" x 8-1/4" x 10" and rated 25 Watts? For ham radio?

Personally, I'd say, "Are you kidding?"

My choice in speakers is and always has been to use two of them at all times and place them very close to your ear. You'll hear signals you absolutely cannot hear in any kind of speaker.

The ones shown below are $99 direct, but $75 on Amazon.com and often found cheaper than that at large retail outlets. They are absolutely perfect:

http://www.koss.com/en/products/head...Size_Headphone
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

I agree with Steve;
    With good headphone not only do you get as close to the speaker as you can but you also are less likely to suffer from listening fatigue.

I use cast off speakers from stereo gear, they work well and if you have a radio with a tone control you are that much more ahead.
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

I could never stand to listen to "ham radio" via a speaker.

The only time I ever use a speaker is in the car, and I don't like it then. I hate to hear the influence of the environment (room acoustics).

I don't have to hear any of that with headphones, they really are perfect.

At many garage sales there are speakers from all sorts of defunct "hi fi" systems that go for a dollar or two. That kind of price is VERY hard to beat!

As for headphones: Most of the time I don't like to use them. I have headphones that range from Western-Electric with a patent date in 1918 to padded military types to "stereo". Unless there is some reason to hold down the noise, and since my main shack is on the opposite side of the house from the bedrooms, that doesn't happen very often! Or, when I am really digging out a very weak station from the noise level, I do use headphones. The rest of the time, having something on my head just "bothers" me.

Back in the 1970s and early 1980s, my company was an authorized David-Clark repair center for their headsets. We got involved with this because ARCO was using hundreds of David-Clark headsets with their Motorola radios and ARCO's national headquarters was a little over a mile away from my office. Since ARCO was purchasing a large number of reconditioned Motorola portable units, the Motorola account managers got us involved with reconditioning the David-Clark headphones because the ARCO employees were "hard" on them around oil drilling rigs, refineries, etc. David-Clark didn't really want to deal with the reconditioning and was happy when Motorola made the deal between them and my company.

Glen, K9STH

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    I could never stand to listen to "ham radio" via a speaker.

The only time I ever use a speaker is in the car, and I don't like it then. I hate to hear the influence of the environment (room acoustics).

I don't have to hear any of that with headphones, they really are perfect.
    Those are good headphones and efficient at that.
    About twelve years ago SONY made some low end headphones that were both comfortable and reasonably good in terms of reproductive quality. I have a pair and they are long in the tooth.
    They are not made anymore and a C Note isn't that much to spend on good headphones.
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

I guess I never got used to listening to shortwave or amateur radio signals using speakers.

From my earliest SWL days in the early 60's, I used sensitive hi-Z headphones and receivers that had no audio amplifiers (simple stuff!) and heard all sorts of things. Then I graduated to real receivers that had audio stages and speakers and they never sounded good to me, I was too used to headphones.

Plus, I did "A/B" comparisons many times at home and in other people's ham shacks. I'd visit lots of guys who used only speakers and hated headphones. So, I'd tune around on "his" rig and find a weak signal just above the noise, and call that station and work the guy. In the middle of the contact, I'd unplug the phones and say to the station owner, "How's this guy sound?" and of course the answer would be "What guy? I don't hear anything."

Exactly.

I'm just so used to it after nearly 50 years of using headphones exclusively that now almost all speakers sound lousy to me, and I don't feel like I'm wearing anything. If I sit in front of a rig, I plop on the "cans." It's just automatic.

The poster asked about speakers not headphones. I like headphones too, but I'm a part of the house where I can 'make noise' and often I'm working on the computer or whatever and don't want to be wearing headphones to hear the radio.

Some speakers just sound better than others. For example, to me a large communication freq response speaker sounds better than one made for music. Probably due to my tinnitus. I Just think it's a personal choice for whatever sounds best to you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast