Callsign
ad: dxeng
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TEN TEC OMNI-V Final AMP MRF458 -> 2SC2879 works OK.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec

Default TEN TEC OMNI-V Final AMP MRF458 -> 2SC2879 works OK.

TEN TEC OMNI-V Final AMP MRF458 burned out several days ago, so I replaced them with 2SC2879, readjusted bias, it worked OK, except at 10 mtr band it put out 75 watts stead of 100 watts. for info just in case somebody have same problem. MRF 458 is difficult to obtain. I did not made any change in circuit, except readjusted Bias to Factory Spec. of TEN TEC for MRF458 which is 500 mA collector current for Both Transistor.

You might try about 200-250MA bias current. The data sheet uses 100ma for a single device. Kenwood uses 250 for a pair.
    Clif Holland KA5IPF
    [url]www.avvid.com[/url]

thanks, I readjusted to 250 mA for both 2SC2879. Yaesu FT-757GX1 which use same 2SC2879 also specified 225 mA for both. according to datasheet 2SC2879 has more dissipating power capacity and current. hopefully 2SC2879 is more durable. I burn out MRF458 when I put full power into badly matched antenna. I guess TEN TEC use current limiting method , stead of SWR method to protect Final AMP.

Quote Originally Posted by AE6ZW View Post
    ...also I guess TEN TEC use current limiting method , stead of SWR method to protect Final AMP.
    Guessing doesn't work in this game very well.

The truth is that TenTec specified their own power supply design that incorporated a fast-breaking magnetic circuit breaker on the 13.8V line, set to open when specified current draw was being exceeded.

When the antenna isn't matched, more current is drawn and the breaker would shut the radio off.

The manuals for these radios will tell you that, very explicitly, actually.

When using any other power supply with these wonderful old and good rigs, one should purchase a proper magnetic circuit breaker (AIRPAX, etc. brands) that will cut the power when specified operating current is passed. I forget offhand what that figure is, if you don't have the manuals, a call to TenTec for advice from their technical staff should clear that up, matter of fact they used to offer a circuit breaker specifically for that, likely the same one used in their supply for a replacement part.

There is no SWR foldback design in this power amp. It relies on that fast breaker instead.

However, the upside of that is the cleanliness of the PA design.

Great rig. I used to just love the QSK CW those things can do.

Failure to incorporate that breaker in the powerline almost always results in blown finals someday.

Bet you can figure out how I can unequivocally state that last line *grin*...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ae6zw
    TEN TEC OMNI-V Final AMP MRF-458 burned out several days ago, so I replaced them with 2SC2879, readjusted bias.
    It worked OK, except at the 10 meter band the RF output was 75 watts instead of 100 watts.
    Just in case somebody have same problem. MRF-458 is difficult to obtain.
    Niko -

The Toshiba 2SC2879 is a well known RF transistor as well ....
    The difference between the Toshiba 2SC2879 and the 2SC2879A is that the “A” version is RoHS compliant,
    and uses an Aluminum Nitrite insulator (color gray) on the header vs. Berillium Oxide (color white).
    The "A" part will have a RED dot after the "9" in die stamping.

This Toshiba part sell for $33-$35 each at RF Parts.

The Motorola MRF-458 was also used in the Ten Tec Omni VI+ HF transceiver.
    Al, W6WQC provided these insights 10 years ago (December 2002) on the TenTec forums:
    http://lists.contesting.com/_tentec/.../msg00383.html

The Motorola MRF-454 is indeed a suitable replacement for the MRF-458 transistors as reported originally by W6LX. Both parts use the 211-11 package.
    The MRF-454A and the MRF-458A are respectively identical electrically BUT are in a different package. DO NOT use these "A" parts.

BTW, M/A-COM continues to produce the MRF-454 !! The M/A-COM MRF-454 RF transistor is a current production and "off-shelf" part.
    Mouser has them for $55 each (cheaper in qty) with over 100 In Stock !!

Mouser Part #: 937-MRF454

IN ADDITION, RF PARTS stocks both the Motorola and M/A-COM MRF-454 ($43-$45) and Motorola MRF-458 ($24) parts !!
    http://www.rfparts.com/transistors_MRF-TP.html
    ==
    The 1983 Motorola data book shows that the MRF-454 is a somewhat more rugged transistor than the MRF-458.
    The MRF-454 is spec'd at 20 amps continuous collector current and a power dissipation of 250 watts while the MRF-458 is spec'd at a collector current
    of 10 amps and a dissipation of 175 watts.

Both have an identical gain of 12 dB, power out of 80 watts and 50 percent efficiency.

The MRF454 has higher maximum Vceo and Vcbo ratings.

The MRF 454 has a higher gain at 30 mhz: 90 watts for 5 watts of drive while the MRF-458 is spec'd at 70 watts for 5 watts of drive.
    The 1994 data book lists the MRF-454 as a direct replacement for the MRF-458.
    Last edited by W9GB; 02-11-2012 at 01:49 AM.
    Nullius in verba

thanks for information, I did not know TEN TEC 's power supply has special type of circuit breaker. I bought my TEN TEC OMNI-V as used in QTH and power supply did not come with it, and I use 100 AH deep cycle marine battery and radio shack 2 A power supply to charge the battery along with 60 watts solar cell as power supply, I have 25 A fuse inline to TEN TEC from Battery, but I guess it may need to be 20 A or probably Fuse does not act fast enough to protect final transister. MRF-454 would may been a better transistor choice than 2SC2879, I got my 2SC2879 on ebay for about $35 each. well knowing those information , I suppose I just have to be careful to tune with lower power into my antenna ( random wire indoor ANT, tuned with MFJ manual tuner MFJ 962D ) , people in QRZ know a lot of technical info, and good place to ask questions. 73 AE6ZW

there is a actually a few things I don't understand well according to how wide band amplifier such as used in Most of HF radio work,
    #1 Circle #1 on parts of schematic of attached picture , I suppose C-13, C-14, R-16 form some sort of Negative Feed Back to stabilize or lower the gain of higher frequency ?

#2 Circle #2 C-18 ( 1000 pF ) C-19 ( 560 pF ) along with primary coil winding of collector output transfer, it make tuned circuit ? as LC resonate tune band pass circuit ?

#3 Circle #3 R-17, R-18 ( 3.9 ohm ) , do they exist to lower power to drive ? since datasheet of MRF458 says input impedance of real parts is about 1 ohm, it seems most of power coming from previous driver stage is consumed in those 2 resisters ( R-17, R-18 ) , am I right ?

RF power amp and PA BIAS board question A.jpg

#1, the circuit is an Integrator. The two caps in parallel equal one .02 value. Integration is a form of negative feedback that does not include any DC component. The caps plus the R of the circuit will allow negative feedback to occur only below a calculated frequency. You might think of this as an active lowpass filter. Stops oscillations from happening at harmonic frequencies above the ones of interest.

#2 Your own answer is workable here. Again, we see two caps in parallel to achieve the sum of the two values. Here they are being used as a snubber, if you will, bypassing harmonics above a calculated frequency from being introduced into the xformer primary.

#3, Notice that the two 3.9 ohm zitters are on both sides of the differential. Since they are in parallel, they form a resistance of half the 3.9 ohm value. Placed in series with the Base-Emitter junction of each of the two transistors, well, whenever we see series resistance, the first thing we should think about is "current limiting" although clever designs such as this often incorporate more than one "feature" at the same time.

These answers are horrendously simplified, I'll leave it to those who love to overcomplicate things in an effort to show off their knowledge to lead you down that primrose path *grin*.

Enjoy,

thanks, I think I sort of understood how that amplifier circuit works, I will experiment more with the circuit , perhaps by changing some value to see what happen.

Be very careful, matter of fact, I wouldn't recommend that kind of experimentation with your
    TenTec rig's PA amp.

Disaster can happen in less than 1 milliSecond with a solid state amp.

Instead, I recommend that you peruse Application Notes on SS RF power amp designs such as can be found at the Communications Concepts website, the Motorola Application Notes are still likely the king of the hill on this subject. Or at least a fine starting place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast