ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-BCInc

Go to a sewing machine repair shop and ask for a foot pedal that doesn't work anymore. The old ones are just a big rheostat with a wiper, short it out and it's an on/off switch. I've used one for probably 25 yrs that I paid $2 for.

Kerry, WD5ABC
    SKCC #12

PTT.jpg

Mine is an old plastic-body flashlight, with the bell end cut off. The length is just right for resting in your entire hand, rather than the cord end poking into your palm as you grip it. The first button is a momentary switch; the second is a push on - push off, for those longer transmissions. The cord is from an old electric shaver. It is so light, I had to add some weight to it, so I stuffed it with strips cut from an old T shirt. As to the debate over hand vs. foot switches, I use both. The foot switch is for contests, when I need both hands free for the computer, while the hand switch is for the rest of the time, allowing you to move around some. I added a flattened-out ring terminal to the top, so it can be hung out of the way when not in use.

I like my foot switches. If I need to talk for a really long time, I can just use the transmit button on the transceiver. Most rigs have them and you don't have to hold it. On my TS520 it's a flip switch, on the TS570 it's a "send" button, push it once to xmit, push it again and it's off.
    Audie
    SKCC #927
    Virginia Fone Net #72

We were chuckling about making a PTT switch out of one of these for field day. Should keep folks from bothering you:

grenade.jpg

Use an old snooze button from a alarm clock. usually they are a momentary contact switch, and range from various shapes and size.

I've got one here made from a 1/4" phono plug body (the black plastic screw on insulator type) and a RS momentary NO switch. Cable from an old pair of head phones. Cost less than $5. Fit in the hand well.
    Nevermind...

I used a small project box from Radio Shack, and a soft touch momentary switch .Seems to work ok.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3