Callsign
ad: cheapham

View Poll Results: OK those kilowatt powerhouses?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 11.71%
  • Yes, but with conditions (explain)

4 3.60%
  • Yes, but all operators should participate (explain)

0 0%
  • No

56 50.45%
  • This idea is completely insane!

38 34.23%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: "Reasonable and Prudent": Should the FCC remove restrictions on power?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters

The problem with running any kind of amp over 500 watts is the receiver that is being used to "hear" what is being transmitted out. My elmer used to call these people Alligators. How many times have we answered a CQ from a "Kilowatt Ham" hitting us with a 5/7 only to be told "we are in the noise".
    If most people would upgrade their antennas and receive capablities, we all could easily survive on 100 watts for any kind of of worldwide contact.

You may be right.. However if the fellow says you are in the noise, perhaps you need to upgrade your antenna as well.. Curious why you put a 500 watt
    limit.. Why not a hundred watts? Thier are a good number of reason for your signal,m at his endm, would be in the noise and his at your end to be
    5/7.. His power level is only one consideration..

Lee
    NI7I

Quote Originally Posted by KA4EET View Post
    The problem with running any kind of amp over 500 watts is the receiver that is being used to "hear" what is being transmitted out. My elmer used to call these people Alligators. How many times have we answered a CQ from a "Kilowatt Ham" hitting us with a 5/7 only to be told "we are in the noise".
    If most people would upgrade their antennas and receive capablities, we all could easily survive on 100 watts for any kind of of worldwide contact.

Lee, I put 500 watts because less than that would be an insignificant reason to use an Amp in the first place and about 500 watts (or more) is where there is a noticable signal increase by the receiving station.

1500 and a 12 db gain beam... 24,000 ERP! I've heard people doing that from one side of LA California to the other--I was listening in with my attenuator on full and a vertical antenna; they were both 9++ with the attenuator fully on and I'm in Washington State! I've worked the world with 100 Watts, but know people that have modified surplus radio station amps that are more than 20KW and the only reason they don't use them is because the OO's are waiting for them. The idea of unlimited is just completely crazy!

73 de N7GH

BTW: one of those guys' signal was coming off the back of his beam and it was still 9++ in Washington state!

Only way the OO can know he is running too much power is to actually be close enough to either see the amp running or perhaps
    take measurements with a FSM.. It's good that you have had such success with your hundred watts.. Good that you are happy with
    that.. No problem.. It's also no problem for hams that can afford it, to run a bit of power.. I would be in favor of no limits to
    output power as long as the equipment was being properly used.. It shouldnt have an impact on anyu ody if the gear
    is installed/set up properly..

NI7I

Quote Originally Posted by N7GH View Post
    1500 and a 12 db gain beam... 24,000 ERP! I've heard people doing that from one side of LA California to the other--I was listening in with my attenuator on full and a vertical antenna; they were both 9++ with the attenuator fully on and I'm in Washington State! I've worked the world with 100 Watts, but know people that have modified surplus radio station amps that are more than 20KW and the only reason they don't use them is because the OO's are waiting for them. The idea of unlimited is just completely crazy!

73 de N7GH

BTW: one of those guys' signal was coming off the back of his beam and it was still 9++ in Washington state!

When I key down, with the LINNYURE I want, I wanna see all the lights in SoCal DIM!!! I wanna SCRAM THE REACTOR at San Onofre!!!! I needa GIGAGIGAWATT!!!
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

Quote Originally Posted by KB7FHK View Post
    It is hard to keep the inconsiderate hams from splattering or trying to make us tone deaf while tuning up with the current power limits. Extra QRM is all we need
    YAH ~~!!!~~

what he said
    [I]I spent all my years when I was young wishing I was older. Now I spend all my years when I'm old wishing I was younger....[/I]

Power Limits restriction should only be http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=69 note, there is exemption of most of HF for up to 500 watts and 50 watts on VHF, somebody who can put 10 kW still meet RF safety, I have no problem with that. Many commercial Coast Station runs 5 KW. good for economy, people buying high power amp. but, NO more 1.5 kW mobile, I think that cause too much trouble.

I'm curious. What commercial coast stations are there? There are no longer any commercial radio stations aboard US flagged ships. Who do these stations
    serve?

Lee
    NI7I

Quote Originally Posted by AG6JU View Post
    Power Limits restriction should only be http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=69 note, there is exemption of most of HF for up to 500 watts and 50 watts on VHF, somebody who can put 10 kW still meet RF safety, I have no problem with that. Many commercial Coast Station runs 5 KW. good for economy, people buying high power amp. but, NO more 1.5 kW mobile, I think that cause too much trouble.

Korea Telecom operate CW coast station on following frequencies
    HLF 8484 HLW 8636 17130 HLO 12843 16990 HLF 12916.5 22611.6 HLW2 12923 HLG 12935 HLJ 16910 ALL FREQ in kHz
    they send CQ QSX, I hear them here in Southern CALIF very well, their power is 5 kW I believe

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast