ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Want a great tobacco tar solvent

I'm refurbishing a Kenwood rig that obviously sat a very long time in a smoke-filled shack. I'll shake in my ultrasonic cleaner first, then brush as need. Knobs are either plastic only or plastic and aluminum. What will best kill the tar?

Krud Kutter spray cleaner. Sold at Lowes, Ace Hardware.

I dilute it with water when cleaning my boat anchors. It seems safe with everything I have tested EXCEPT Bakelite!!

It removes cigarette tar like nothing else.
    "RF gotta go somewhere!"

You said the magic words! "It removes cigarette tar like nothing else."

I have some, but never used it on electronic gear. I'll give it try. It works very well cleaning road tars off my pickup in conjunction with the pressure washer, and does wonders to mold-moss on vinyl siding here in the Pacific NW.

Thank you and 73,
    Gary

It is a great cleaner yet seems gentle enough that it doesn't irritate my hands. Truly Krud Kutter is the only cleaner I have found that completely rooms smoking tar. It runs off in the water and no remaining odors.
    "RF gotta go somewhere!"

I would suggest flux cleaner spray. A good flux cleaner will pick up all kinds of nasty things (tar, dirt, electrolyte from leaking capacitors...) while leaving paint and plastic parts unharmed.

(Warning: make sure the cleaner IS safe for plastic before using it.)

Krud Kutter worked as stated. I now have a set of very clean knobs, with no plastic damage. The nearly thirty year old aluminum glistens. I used mildly warm water. Water to KK ratio was about 8:1 in the ultrasonic.

Quote Originally Posted by NM7G View Post
    I'm refurbishing a Kenwood rig that obviously sat a very long time in a smoke-filled shack. I'll shake in my ultrasonic cleaner first, then brush as need. Knobs are either plastic only or plastic and aluminum. What will best kill the tar?
    Maybe you have something like this ?
    http://www.cleansupply.com.au/detail...=829&cid=36,73
    awsome product which cleans most anything bringing it back to a clean surface

Quote Originally Posted by VK4KGW View Post
    Maybe you have something like this ?
    http://www.cleansupply.com.au/detail...=829&cid=36,73
    awsome product which cleans most anything bringing it back to a clean surface
    There's little doubt various products are suitable for the job. I caution anyone, however, to avoid a petroleum based solvents, without knowledge about how it will react with plastic. My goal was to do as little scrubbing as possible, and had the ultrasonic to make the job easy with the right solvent.

Krud Kutter states on the container "non-toxic, biodegradeable, non-flammable, non-abrasive". Just about ideal for my cleanup jobs. Full strength on bare hands, numerous times here, and no harm as a result. I don't allow it to dry on my skin, and rinse with warm water thoroughly. Vegetation below the siding of my home has shown no ill effects. In addition to the retailers mentioned, it's sold by Home Depot.