Callsign
ad: sscomp
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vx-170 Programming cable, Windows gives error 10.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

Thumbs down Vx-170 Programming cable, Windows gives error 10.

Ok, Well tried to run the programming cable for my vx-170.
    I got a error code of 10 From windows.
    No I did not have the money to buy a big brand cable instead I bought this one
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/170640956320
    Their download link is dead.
    When I searched for a alternate driver I discovered this one
    http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?id=31
    Tried it HOPING, It would be a go. Nope It gets the error 10
    that they talk about.
    anyone have any ideas Or other drivers to try?.
    I have even tried uninstalling, installing and setting a new com port.
    A no go either way same error!..

KJ6OJL
    Don

There was a discussion about RS232 converters recently. Apparently some cheap cables are using fake Prolific chips.

For what it's worth, I'm using a cable that looks 100% identical to the one in your link, bought from another seller in Taiwan. Don't know whether it's fake or real, but it works flawlessly for me (Win7 x64 SP1).

Here is the driver I'm using, maybe it will help you:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Awesome!
    Thanks I will try this driver in next few hours and report back.
    mine came from
    Yu zhping
    Room 1120, Gelinwangyuan
    Building, zhenxing road futian
    Shenzhen Guangdong china 518028

Quote Originally Posted by KK4FUS View Post
    There was a discussion about RS232 converters recently. Apparently some cheap cables are using fake Prolific chips.

For what it's worth, I'm using a cable that looks 100% identical to the one in your link, bought from another seller in Taiwan. Don't know whether it's fake or real, but it works flawlessly for me (Win7 x64 SP1).

Here is the driver I'm using, maybe it will help you:

I didn't keep the envelope mine came in. I bought it from the seller "kawacool", that's all I know. And I was wrong, the seller is from Hong Kong, not Taiwan.

Good luck with the drivers, hope you will get your cable working.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6OJL
    OK, well tried to run the programming cable for my Yaesu VX-170.
    I got a Error Code 10 from MS Windows.
    I bought this cable from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170640956320

Their download link is dead. When I searched for an alternate driver, I discovered this one:
    http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?id=31

I tired the Prolific drivers hoping it would work. Nope, I still get the Error Code 10, that they talk about.
    Anyone have any ideas ??
    The Prolific web page you listed has the latest drivers (past few months) for the Prolific chip set.

The Yaesu VX-170 has a serial TTL interface for programming. This is normally a serial port off the VX-170 uProcessor.
    In order to interface this Transistor-transistor Logic (TTL) has to be converted to the
    RS-232 (1970s comm standard) or Universal Serial Bus (USB) interfaces found on personal computers ---
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transis...ansistor_logic

LEVEL CONVERTERS are required. Prolific (Taiwan/China) sells USB to TTL intergated circuits that perfrom this conversion --
    and are powered (DC) either externally or from the USB hardware connector. RS-232 (commonly seen as DE-9 connector) is another different standard.

The drivers provided by Dan, KK4FUS are an earlier verison of Prolific drivers, for devices using PL-2303H/HX/X version chip.

PL2303 Driver Installer v1.3.0
    Driver Versions:
    -------------------
    - Windows 98/ME Driver: v2.0.0.19
    - Windows 2000/XP/Server2003 (32 & 64-bit) WDM WHQL Driver: v2.0.13.130
    - Windows Vista/7/Server2008 (32 & 64-bit) WDF WHQL Driver: v3.3.11.152

==
    FIRST, you need to "clean out" the earlier drivers that produced the Error Code 10.
    Prolific has a couple of utilities for this, on the web link you already have.
    They specifcally advise using, stating that the Windows Control Panel removal is "not always complete".

The Microsoft -- Error Code 10 -- is a device driver error. I ASSUME you are running MS Windows XP ???
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

Step through these potential issues that can cause the Error Code 10 condition.
    Microsoft Knowledge Article ID: 943104 - Last Review: November 23, 2011 - Revision: 5.0
    Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates in Windows-based computers
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104

==
    w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 01-06-2012 at 04:01 AM.
    Nullius in verba

Interesting,
    As of now, It seems to have installed once I found a file it said was missing.
    It acted like it was working, but when I put the radio into "CLONE" to pull the existing
    data, It says -----Tx------
    then goes to error after about 2 seconds.
    I will try the latest suggestion and see if that changes anything.
    Seems close.. but will see..
    No idea what chip is supposed to be in this cable.
    But have read and discovered after the fact of buying that there has been so many
    knock off's going, which this one claims no branding, but also still not going.

So, there is another piece of hardware needed as well?.
    Hurm, well interesting. I thought the one cable had what was needed built in.
    will try everything in a bit here. Kinda doing this in-between everything else going on

Quote Originally Posted by W9GB View Post
    LEVEL CONVERTERS are required. Prolific (Taiwan/China) sells USB to TTL intergated circuits that perfrom this conversion --
    and are powered (DC) either externally or from the USB hardware connector. RS-232 (commonly seen as DE-9 connector) is another different standard.

The drivers provided by Dan, KK4FUS are an earlier verison of Prolific drivers, for devices using PL-2303H/HX/X version chip.

w9gb

ok, Seems like driver is working, I get program to confirm radio on and radio off 00 returned.
    but then when it comes to "clone" I hit TX where I am supposed to radio returns a "ERROR" and
    nothing..
    Im a little lost now.
    Might check out a few other programs.

OK, I get the same error from having connector or no connector hooked up.
    Starting to wonder possible radio issue?

(sigh) Just opened my programming cable. The chip inside is labeled PL-2303HXC. There is also a level translator made with 4 transistors and a few resistors. It is not a RadioShack USB to RS232 cable, it's a cable made specifically for Yaesu radios. No additional converters or adapters are required. One end of the cable plugs into the computer, the other end plugs into the radio.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast