ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec

Default Shack Lighting

I installed some 12 VDC LED strip lighting on the bottom of the shelf on my desk. It is bright enough that it lights up all of the equipment under the shelf. In fact I had to put a small strip of wood on the front edge of the shelf as the lights were too bright for my eyes. I can see the computer keyboards etc without having any other lights on in the shack now.

The photo was taken without any lights being on in the shack.

$16 for a 5 meter strip of lights, and you can cut them every 3 lights, plus they have a sticky backing on them for mounting.

Between my LED call sign and these lights my wife says I have a lot of Bling happening in here

RADIO DESK 051.jpg

Looks good. You can use PWM to control the brightness; efficiency ≥ 90%.
    When I fabricated my shelf unit, I cut a T-slot on the underside (to hang a 1U audio processor box). The 12V LED strip light would be especially useful to me, as my rig runs on a float-charged 12V battery bank. Where did you find your lamp? Part number?

Quote Originally Posted by WA7PRC View Post
    Looks good. You can use PWM to control the brightness; efficiency ≥ 90%.
    When I fabricated my shelf unit, I cut a T-slot on the underside (to hang a 1U audio processor box). The 12V LED strip light would be especially useful to me, as my rig runs on a float-charged 12V battery bank. Where did you find your lamp? Part number?
    Bryon I bought mine off Ebay from a dealer in Hong Kong. Paid for them on Dec.11 and they arrived today, Dec.30. Mine cost $16 shipped for a 5 meter strip. Same length from US Ebay dealers is 3-4 times that amount.

Now I just checked his auctions today and I think some of his prices went up. But with free shipping it is still cheaper than buying in NA. I'd be willing to bet the guys selling them out of NA are buying the lights from the guy in Hong Kong then re-listing them for 4 times what they paid.

Here is his site on Ebay.
    http://www.ebay.ca/sch/ledview/m.htm...id=p4340.l2562

Very green of you.
    I have an 18 inch fluorescent lamp on top of my office-in-a-box the rigs are enclosed in, that gives a nice soft indirect lighting to the room.
    With a high intensity mini incandescent lamp directly over the actual operating position so I can see my logbook, note pads and keys..
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

For those of you with a PC @ your operating position. You can get a 6 led strip, from Antec for $12.99 (or less if you look hard enough). Which is powered off of a PC USB port, or from a powered USB Hub.

http://techgage.com/article/antec_so...g_kit_review/2
    "[I]Keep the Amateur in Amateur Radio. Keep the professionals and Part 90 out[/I]." Ed Brooks, W5HTW (SK)

[B][SIZE=3]If you can't make fun of yourself, go sit in the truck :cool: - W5WPL[/SIZE][/B]

I have the same, lighting up ( dimmable) the front of the Yaesu FT 2000 D and folded the strip around so it lights down to the SB 1000 from Heathkit and the rest of the equipment used.
    Warm white is the colour, and doing a fine job
    Licensed since 1977

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    I have the same, lighting up ( dimmable) the front of the Yaesu FT 2000 D and folded the strip around so it lights down to the SB 1000 from Heathkit and the rest of the equipment used.
    Warm white is the colour, and doing a fine job
    Mine can not be dimmed at the present time. So far they are fine just the way they are as they provide plenty of light on the equipment and are not hard on the eyes. After I added the little wood lip on the edge of the shelf, that made it easier on my eyes while looking at the equipment.

Ham buddies of mine are asking me where I bought the lights from so they can install them!

Cool idea

Quote Originally Posted by VE3FMC View Post
    I installed some 12 VDC LED strip lighting on the bottom of the shelf on my desk. It is bright enough that it lights up all of the equipment under the shelf. In fact I had to put a small strip of wood on the front edge of the shelf as the lights were too bright for my eyes. I can see the computer keyboards etc without having any other lights on in the shack now.

The photo was taken without any lights being on in the shack.

$16 for a 5 meter strip of lights, and you can cut them every 3 lights, plus they have a sticky backing on them for mounting.

Between my LED call sign and these lights my wife says I have a lot of Bling happening in here

RADIO DESK 051.jpg
    Very cool.....although I admit I like that politically incorrect incandescent glow in my own shack. I can't concentrate under LED light for very long.
    "The more you know, the less you don't know."

I bought LED strip lights from Ikea some years back and put 'em under the shelf - they are excellent when 12 volt powered as they draw very little power from the backup battery supply, handy if you have power outages on a regular basis.

Currently [no pun intended] I don't have anything that fancy.
    This Space Intentionally Left Blank