ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec

Contribute
to QRZ

Default New Yaesu Digital Amateur Radios in 2012

Yaesu is hinting that they will be coming out with new digital amateur radios in 2012.

This new PDF phamplet discussing amateur digital radios shows the new Vertex Standard APCO P-25 commercial radios, as well as new amateur radios based on C4FM FDMA.

This appears that Yaesu will be offering amateur gear based on the MotoTrobo digital standard in 2012. The new vertex radios look identical to their Mototrola counterparts.

I guess this makes sense now that Yaesu is owned by Motorola.

It's always nice t see technology moving forward. With the latest group of portable radios and now a 5 band beam for HF, I can only see good things for the new 2012 year. One thing though that I would like to see is more activity on our repeaters.Whether it's 2 meters or 440. The increase in activity can insure that we won't be losing our Amateur Radio bands. The commercial boys are out there constantly looking for increased bandwith and frequencies s you can scroll your cellphone. Happy New year..............now turn on your radio ........Have Fun BOB N2MDA

Let's see if this link works...

It appears so... click on Owners Manual pdf.

A Digital Communications Guide for Amateur Radio Operators

Not in but around Palmer, Alaska

http://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cf...lication%2Fpdf

That might work. Pretty good case against D-Star, not that I'm dumping on D-Star. We're still all stuck with the voice chip until a suitable replacement is developed.

Me thinks Yaesu/Vertex Standard has just drawn a line in the sand against the Icom/D-Star Systems! This should be interesting.....

I noticed how the mobile microphone looks similar to a Motorola Public Safety one.

Dean, KC9EOQ

Yes, they has drawn the line. This paper is well-written.

Kudos to Yaesu!

Quote Originally Posted by KC9EOQ View Post
    Me thinks Yaesu/Vertex Standard has just drawn a line in the sand against the Icom/D-Star Systems! This should be interesting.....

I noticed how the mobile microphone looks similar to a Motorola Public Safety one.

Dean, KC9EOQ

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by N6WBL View Post
    http://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cf...cationsGuide_E[1].pdf&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf

That might work. Pretty good case against D-Star, not that I'm dumping on D-Star. We're still all stuck with the voice chip until a suitable replacement is developed.
    Yes, and the Yaesu rigs aren't it.

They use the IMBE CODEC, which is patented, and comes sealed on a chip from DVSI, just like the AMBE one in D-Star rigs.

So no need to get worked up, it's just a newer version of the same garbage.

It all comes down to marketing.

Hams will buy it if it doesn't cost any more and provides some additional function. If the Yaesu rigs are priced like DSTAR radios, fuggetaboutit. I think to have any chance of success, they need to come up with a modulation technique that will coexist with analog users on the same repeater. If the repeater needs to be replaced to make that happen, it's probably not fatal, but it won't help.

We DSTAR users, and I'm not a heavy duty one, will continue to do what we do until they turn off the reflectors. While they make some interesting arguments, the only thing that will sell this turkey is if they get enough people using it to make it worth having. Unless the rigs are very cheap, I see that being a long, hard slog. Someday, in the future, there might be some surplus commercial gear around that will make this a popular mode for hams. Maybe...
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

I am not familiar with the quality of DSTAR audio, but I am quite familiar with P25 C4FM 12.5 KHz audio emanating from Motorola premium XTS series portable radios used in the public safety or government realm. P25 audio is quite good. I'd say it is equivalent to, or is easier to understand, than analog voice in most situations. I like it.

I guess this makes sense now that Yaesu is owned by Motorola.
    Not so, if you read the Yaesu Musen story also posted hereabouts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast