ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl

Default Tennadyne T 6 vs Mosley TA 53 Vs Hex Beam

All 3 work all 5 hf bands, what one would you take, and why ?
    I have located both the Tennadyne T 6 and the Mosley TA 53 locally used.
    I can get the Tennadyne T6 for 200.00, or the Mosley TA 53 used for 300.00
    The Hex Beam ( I would buy the KIO version of the Hex Beam) will be over 600.00
    I have NEVER ever been able to find a used Hex Beam locally, of any make.

I have a Cush Craft A3 S with 40 meter add on kit I have decided to sell, and not put up.
    I must have a warc band capable beam, especially with the sunspots coming back.

I had a Cush Craft ASL 2010 Log Periodic that came along for the ride when I bought my tower, but it has a really big turning radius, and it's 10 sq ft windload is too close to my towers limits.

I have a 55 ft Aluma Tower, but many trees/power lines around, so raising and lowering the antenna will be a hassle.

In fact I MAY have to rent a bucket truck to even erect the antenna.
    [URL="https://plus.google.com/103580376815288647434/posts"]Chris Tucker[/URL] - KA7NIQ
    [URL="http://www.roof-cleaning-tampa.com/2010/10/volunteer-roof-cleaning-tampa.html"]Ham Does Volunteer Roof Cleaning Work For Tampa Area Charity[/URL]

I'd go for the TA-53, presuming it's in perfect condx and everything's there and labeled.

Why? Because it's a better beam. It has more gain, a tighter pattern and better F/B.

Then, getting a beam up 55' blows away almost anything else you could do (with wires, verticals, etc) so any kind of beam will be an improvement over not having a beam.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Hex beam...
    a beam that performs nearly on par with a full scale two element Yagi
    I'd go with the TA-53 too even if I had to buy it new.
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Kind a hard to tell really. The T6 has the greatest turn ratio, the hex beam the least. The F/B ratio for the TA-53 is not impressive. The T6 is better in this regard and the Hex beam doesn't really tell you much about theirs. The gain is slightly lower for the Hex Beam and the Mosley seems to put out better numbers then the T6. This could more likely be attributed to marketing then actual performance. The Hex Beam and the T6 would not require fine tuning or so say the Hex Beam folks. If I had to choose (and I wish I could) then I might favor the T6, but that's just me and other folks will have their choices as well.
    Good luck on your decision, either way it would be a good one to make.
    Hope this helps
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    I'd go for the TA-53, presuming it's in perfect condx and everything's there and labeled.

Why? Because it's a better beam. It has more gain, a tighter pattern and better F/B.

Then, getting a beam up 55' blows away almost anything else you could do (with wires, verticals, etc) so any kind of beam will be an improvement over not having a beam.
    That's interesting, you own a T6, and I read where you have installed the TA 53.
    [URL="https://plus.google.com/103580376815288647434/posts"]Chris Tucker[/URL] - KA7NIQ
    [URL="http://www.roof-cleaning-tampa.com/2010/10/volunteer-roof-cleaning-tampa.html"]Ham Does Volunteer Roof Cleaning Work For Tampa Area Charity[/URL]

At first glance, the hexbeam seems more expensive, but after you factor in the cost of a tower and the beefy rotor system required to operate other antennas, the hexbeam wins.
    73 de Charles - KC8VWM
    North American QRP CW Club #3159, SKCC# 5752

Quote Originally Posted by KC8VWM View Post
    At first glance, the hexbeam seems more expensive, but after you factor in the cost of a tower and the beefy rotor system required to operate other antennas, the hexbeam wins.
    Very very true! Nearly every Ham I have talked to loves their KIO Hex Beams, for this exact reason. I live near Tampa Florida, and the KIO Hex Beams are very popular here.
    But I already have a 55 FT Crank up, fold over, Aluma Tower. Plus, I already own a Ham 4 rotor, and I am not deed or antenna restricted. My problems are power lines/trees.
    I need to measure my trees heights, and make sure my 55 ft tower will put me over the top of them.
    If not, the smaller Hex Beam may be better for me, since it's small boom will put it further away from the trees ?

Quote Originally Posted by KA7NIQ View Post
    That's interesting, you own a T6, and I read where you have installed the TA 53.
    I actually have a T8 now, although I still have the T6 as well. Not a lot of difference, although the T8 has a smoother SWR curve across the bands. In that regard, though, the T6 was good enough.

I've installed lots of Mosley beams. When new, they're perfect. When used, I'd be very sure whoever took it apart did a good job of that and labeled everything, as the color coded tapes they use to show you how to assemble it can wear off and then you have a mystery pile of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by K7MH View Post
    Hex beam...

I'd go with the TA-53 too even if I had to buy it new.
    I can get the Mosley TA 53 used in excellent condition for 300.00. Mosley has an upgrade for it called the TA 54 that extends the boom out to 21 feet, giving you 4 elements on 5 bands !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Turning radius is 16.7 ft, maybe I can manage that ?
    The dam thing weighs 80 lbs though, but wind load is a manageable 6.7 sq ft.

I heard one of these on 17 meters the other day, some Ham in Colorado had one. He started off with the TA 53, and bought the TA 54 kit. He said the difference was worth it, and he really liked the stock TA 53 too.
    Next year, he plans on the 40 meter add on for the TA 54.
    My GOD, 4 active elements on 5 bands, and 40 meters too, and built to survive Armageddon. What's not to like about the Mosley TA 54 ?

I listen to this Ham talk about his antenna. He had a Hy Gain TH 3 mk 2, but wanted 5 bands, so he bought the Mosley TA 53.
    He felt the Mosley TA 53 talked as good as the TH 3 Hy Gain, was more broadbanded, but had poor front to back ratio in comparison to the Hy Gain.
    He was saying the TA 54 extension kit helped the front to back ratio a bit over the TA 53.

I think if you want a great F/B you need a monoband beam or a SteppIR, which can be adjusted for an amazing F/B (at the sacrifice of some gain).

The logs aren't that great, in my experience (for F/B) but it's not the most important thing for me, so I don't care, much.

Check out the TA-53 up close and visually if you haven't already done that. "Excellent condition" can sometimes mean it's shiny and not oxidized, but it doesn't necessarily mean you can put it back together...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast